Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Lens Work - the Canon new FD Guide" scanned
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: "Lens Work - the Canon new FD Guide" scanned Reply with quote

I have scanned (and to some extent also restored) my German version of the Canon book "Lens Work - the Canon Guide to Interchangeable Lenses and Single Lens Reflex Photography".

A low res version of the entire booklet (45 MB) asl well as the medium res chapters (about 30 MB each) are available here:
http://www.artaphot.ch/canon-fd/fd-lens-book

The same page contains also a scan of the contemporary Canon Lens Poster ("Canon FD Objektive").

The publication was printed in Switzerland by Colour Printing Weber Ltd, Bienne.
Copyright 1985 at Canon Europe NV.

Maybe it's useful for some of the German speaking people here.
Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that
My German isn't anywhere near good enough to let me read it, but I'm sure it will still prove interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Guess I'd be able to manage the German Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had found a higher rez pdf before, but there is this that I found after a quick search.
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/34061600/canon-lens-work-about-30-mb-baytanorg

edit: deleted link file was corrupt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Calculated v/s measured MTF Reply with quote

The lens works has a very informative last chapter describing the fundamentals of optics. Deserves to be read by all participants here. excellent idea to make this more widely available. One footnote is called for:

The MTF curves in the lens chapters have no info on how they are made. in contrast, Zeiss MTFs are measured from production samples, taken by white light and represent performance at infinity (or in the case of macro, both infinity and 1:10).

If the Canon curves are taken in light at a different colour temperature and calculated at the best distance, the two sets cannot be compared. Measured by specified methods off actual products v/s calculated from designs is absolutely not the same , although not quite as misleading as comparing an actual society with utopia.

p.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Calculated v/s measured MTF Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
One footnote is called for:

The MTF curves in the lens chapters have no info on how they are made. in contrast, Zeiss MTFs are measured from production samples, taken by white light and represent performance at infinity (or in the case of macro, both infinity and 1:10).

If the Canon curves are taken in light at a different colour temperature and calculated at the best distance, the two sets cannot be compared. Measured by specified methods off actual products v/s calculated from designs is absolutely not the same , although not quite as misleading as comparing an actual society with utopia.

p.

Absolutely right. However, if we look at the measured values, published by Marco Cavina (www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/TEST_85mm_f_1,2/00_pag.htm) and measured on a Zeiss K8 (www.keystone-intl.co.jp/contents/carlzeiss/tester/MTF_Tester_K8.pdf), the values published by Canon for the nFD 1.2/85mm L seem quite comparable to the values measured by Marco Cavina. Of course Marco Cavina (and Zeiss) use 10 / 20 / 40 LP/mm, whereas Canon shows 10 and 30 LP/mm, but otherwise the curves don't differ that much. In fact, the values published by Canon for the Canon nFD 1.2/85mm L at f1.2 and 10 LP/mm are even a bit lower than those measured by Marco.

Stephan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: excellent additional test Reply with quote

Yes, mr. Cavinas website as well as his books are well worth a study. With Canons lenses, however, the assembly process as well as their long term deterioration seems to make their MTFs less reliable.

p.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add that Erwin Puts also has published measured K8 Mtf curves for some Canon glass. They look quite good.

p.Click here to see on Ebay.de