Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X-Fujinon 55mm 1.6 Focus mechanism misaligned?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: X-Fujinon 55mm 1.6 Focus mechanism misaligned? Reply with quote

Sorry for the blurry picture. I noticed that my Fujinon 55mm f1.6 lens was misaligned. The focus ring was also stiff too. Is there any easy way to fix the lens? I can't find any resources online to help me with this. I am also worried about using the lens in the state that it is in.

(also apologies if I am not formatting text correctly, am new here.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: X-Fujinon 55mm 1.6 Focus mechanism misaligned? Reply with quote

KC2Lucky wrote:
Sorry for the blurry picture. I noticed that my Fujinon 55mm f1.6 lens was misaligned. The focus ring was also stiff too. Is there any easy way to fix the lens? I can't find any resources online to help me with this. I am also worried about using the lens in the state that it is in.

Welcome KC2Lucky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be damage from being dropped. No idea how to repair it, probably easier to get a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: X-Fujinon 55mm 1.6 Focus mechanism misaligned? Reply with quote

KC2Lucky wrote:
. . .
I noticed that my Fujinon 55mm f1.6 lens was misaligned. The focus ring was also stiff too. Is there any easy way to fix the lens?
. . .

Greetings, KC2Lucky.

I'm not familiar with your lens, but sometimes the front barrel / filter ring piece will be detachable from the lower part of a lens. If you don't see dents or other drop damage, it may be that your top / front barrel piece is simply attached incorrectly.

When your lens is focused to its minimum distance, are there screws visible around the upper end of the barrel? If so, you might be able to loosen it and readjust.

And if your stiff focus ring rotates consistently - without binding or grinding, it's likely the focus helicoid grease has dried out. Re-greasing a lens typically requires dismantling.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the name / trim ring, mine unscrews off very easily, and underneath you will see 6 small screws - 3 go through ears on the front shroud piece which I've arrowed on your picture and secure it. Maybe one or more of these screws are loose or the ears are broken? You can safely remove the shroud, without disturbing the infinity setting, but the other 3 screws might be the infinity setting?

Also check that the focus barrel / ring is square to the aperture ring, I measured my lens with a ruler - lens closed in at infinity and it is 7mm from the edge of the ap' ring to the edge of the rubber grip. It doesn't matter if the lens isn't at infinity, the important thing is that the distance is the same all round the circumference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: X-Fujinon 55mm 1.6 Focus mechanism misaligned? Reply with quote

KC2Lucky wrote:

It's possible that there is a misalignment in the assembly, it may be easy or difficult to fix.

If the focus ring is the part that's not square to the body & optics, then it may be a relatively easy fix in that the focus ring may not be seated properly.

If the focus ring is square to the body, then it's the optical block that's misaligned, this is the worse situation and will require the optical block be removed, this thread may help in opening up the lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/x-fujinon-1-9-50-mfd-hack-t70292.html