Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some pics with my new Soligor 400mm f6.3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Some pics with my new Soligor 400mm f6.3 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just received this new lens, solid build, for a couple of euros ("as new" condition).

Tokina-Made, serial number 17XXXXXXX.

First tests show it is very sharp and best contrasts at f11.

Last edited by dudu75 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Some pics with my new Soligor 400mm f6.3 Reply with quote

dudu75 wrote:
Hello,

I've just received this new lens, solid built, for a couple of euros ("as new" condition).

. . .

Congrats! It appears you found a good deal.

And if you don't have extension rings, I'd suggest you get a set so you can have closer focus for smaller subjects.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely ! As long as it does not decrease image quality, does it ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good, both shots and the lens' performance. Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudu75 wrote:

Not directly, no, I don't think so. As long as the interiors of the rings are sufficiently blackened to prevent reflections and as long as there are no light leaks, image quality shouldn't be affected.

However, you will lose some light. I don't know what the formula for that is, but I can give you an example:
I just did a quick check with a 400mm lens. When I added a 20mm extension ring, there was a 1/3 stop loss of light.
The longer the extension, the more light you lose.

I've bought new, made in China rings and older, used rings made in Japan. Both worked okay, but the made in Japan rings are more solidly built and have better quality finish.

One of my favorite uses for long lenses is "compressing" familiar landscape settings. It gives a different view of the world.
Enjoy! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
dudu75 wrote:

Not directly, no, I don't think so. As long as the interiors of the rings are sufficiently blackened to prevent reflections and as long as there are no light leaks, image quality shouldn't be affected.

However, you will lose some light. I don't know what the formula for that is, but I can give you an example:
I just did a quick check with a 400mm lens. When I added a 20mm extension ring, there was a 1/3 stop loss of light.
The longer the extension, the more light you lose.

I've bought new, made in China rings and older, used rings made in Japan. Both worked okay, but the made in Japan rings are more solidly built and have better quality finish.

One of my favorite uses for long lenses is "compressing" familiar landscape settings. It gives a different view of the world.
Enjoy! Smile

Thank you for these détails ! I also remember that you loose Infinity focus since the lens is too far away from the sensor, whatever the brand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Very good, both shots and the lens' performance. Congrats!

Thanks !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to using extension tubes, I think the centre image quality holds up much better than edge, and using apsc like your sony A65 thats AOK. But unless you're eg shooting from a hide at essentially the same distance, the range with extension tubes is very restricted, just a few m focus range. The ~8m CFD on these soligors does get in the way eg of getting more frame filling pics of smaller birds.

An interesting point of comparison actually is your vintage 400's on the sony compared to your panasonic FZ1000 (400mm equiv - the sony A65 + 400mm would however be more at 600mm equiv). I've tried a few shots with a bridge camera - nikon etc. They usually have heavy internal processing that results in rather glossy, postcardy jpg's. They're rather good for eg flocks of birds due to the far greater depth of field. But without RAW, and often a crappy EVF, I haven't been tempted. The panasonic has a bigger sensor though and an interesting spec - does it do RAW?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
With regard to using extension tubes, I think the centre image quality holds up much better than edge, and using apsc like your sony A65 thats AOK. But unless you're eg shooting from a hide at essentially the same distance, the range with extension tubes is very restricted, just a few m focus range. The ~8m CFD on these soligors does get in the way eg of getting more frame filling pics of smaller birds.

An interesting point of comparison actually is your vintage 400's on the sony compared to your panasonic FZ1000 (400mm equiv - the sony A65 + 400mm would however be more at 600mm equiv). I've tried a few shots with a bridge camera - nikon etc. They usually have heavy internal processing that results in rather glossy, postcardy jpg's. They're rather good for eg flocks of birds due to the far greater depth of field. But without RAW, and often a crappy EVF, I haven't been tempted. The panasonic has a bigger sensor though and an interesting spec - does it do RAW?

Yes FZ-1000 does RAW, alone or in combination with one
of 3 jpeg qualities. I've never used it to be honest.
As long as you do not exceed max 400m optical range, image is very good with a great aperture. Beyond until 800mm there is digital zoom ans processing which is fairly good if you don't make big printings.
The small sensor of course could compete until some conditions with APS-C ones.

Last edited by dudu75 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tidal salmon nets on the Scottish side of the Solway Firth near Annan

The nets are a long distance from where I was stood and I used an old Soligor 400mm lens and stitched 8 images in Microsoft ICE

Sony NEX5
Soligor 400mm f6.3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one !!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed this morning in very bad rainy and low-light conditions , sharpness in rendez-vous.
1st is a crop, 2nd the original picture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

I own the FZ 1000 too, and I bet that if you look for a crispy and spectacular rendering, it wins hands down; but don't ask what we sometimes call an "organic" rendering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juggling with a bit of sharpening after a resize is how I try to max the results from these old lenses. Just a quick pp of your large jpg in faststone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done MarcusBMG, I dropped original pictures only. I've got the RAW file and will post a PP with Lightroom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images! Is it this model with the chrome "ears"?

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, non ears on mine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens! Yours does have the ears:

Enjoy!

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the 9xxx serials soligor that are normally considered the "chrome eared" ones as per your pic of one, pdccameras . The other 9xxx lenses also have ears: 350mm, 200mm etc, they are all t-mount presets.
The 17xx.. tokina made ones can have ears too but not necessarily. they are fixed mount or T4/TX.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks of the info, Marcus, I never got though all of the "big" Soligor thread!

P.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny day after a snowy night, new set of pics with the Soligor.