Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Miranda 180mm / f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Auto Miranda 180mm / f3.5 Reply with quote

seems to be quite a bit of miranda talk today - perhaps fittingly, came upon this pristine (possibly unused?) auto miranda 180mm / f3.5 at the resale shop today... as i understand it miranda and soligor are essentially facets of the same company; is it possible to tell who manufactured this lens from the serial (as can be done with some soligor lenses?)

180mm is an odd focal length to me (and rare, have only ever come across one other 180mm lens) - what's an appropriate subject matter / use case at this focal length, for test shots?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soligor marketed a 180mm/3.5 made by Tokina.
This one looks different to me.
The Soligor is an excellent lens with good resolution from widest aperture.
Here are some samples
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Soligor variant with the Silver ears has a 8x serial. According to https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/soligor-catalog it is Tokina. But to me it doesn't look like a Tokina. I do not think the Soligor serial number ID is 100% reliable. More likely to be Komine I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The Soligor variant with the Silver ears has a 8x serial. According to https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/soligor-catalog it is Tokina. But to me it doesn't look like a Tokina. I do not think the Soligor serial number ID is 100% reliable. More likely to be Komine I think.

I have also seen them with Hxxxxxxxx serial numbers. Soligor may have sourced different 180's from different manufacturers.
I always thought that mine was Tokina made, but Komine certainly may have made one too.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Soligor 75-260 that is also supposed to be Tokina (There is also a Vivitar Tokina version (37xxx of that one) but no silver ears.

Soligor AUTO-ZOOM 1:4.5 f = 75-260mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

So maybe this design was exclusive to Soligor/Miranda.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

I have also seen them with Hxxxxxxxx serial numbers. Soligor may have sourced different 180's from different manufacturers.
I always thought that mine was Tokina made, but Komine certainly may have made one too.
Tom

fwiw (probably nothing), my other 180mm/3.5 is a tele-tokina preset, and the build is nothing like this, it's more analogous to a komura of that era, but perhaps that is owing to the age difference in the designs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Miranda 180mm f3.5 thanks to Luis.
Weather has been to rainy and overcast to try it.
The markings on the lens are typical Sun Optical, but even if it was made by Sun it would of been made to Miranda specs.
The 200mm f3.5, which I don't have, appears to be made by Tokina.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the 180/3,5 un Soligor brand with serial 16xxxxx. Tokina made, I guess.

And what about 200/3,5 IQ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I saw the 180/3,5 un Soligor brand with serial 16xxxxx. Tokina made, I guess.

And what about 200/3,5 IQ?

There are versions made by Tokina, Komine, Kawanon, Tamron (if we can go by serial number identification). So IQ will probably vary depening on who made the lens and when it was made.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally had a chance to get out and shoot in decent sunlight, and was pretty impressed! as mentioned above regarding the soligor 180mm/f3.5, the resolution and color wide-open is pretty excellent

these are all straight from the camera, sony a7ii saving to jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good to me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
That looks pretty good to me
Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

LOL! The serial number table on that Web page comes from mflenses! walterg is the author.

http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Miranda looks similar to my Soligor 180/3,5, but its design is not the same. The Soligor is thickest at the front, the Miranda in the middle.

Who built it? No idea. The serial number of the Soligor start's with an 8, and it still remains an unsolved mystery who built that lenses. I don't think its Tokina, because Soligor used different numbers for Tokina.

It's quite good for an old long telephoto lens. The Soligors with 200mm length are all worse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about soligor 180/3,5 n° 16xxxxx IQ?

IS IT a lens tu buy for general use like médium tele?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 180mm / f3.5 Reply with quote

benadamx wrote:

180mm is an odd focal length to me (and rare, have only ever come across one other 180mm lens) - what's an appropriate subject matter / use case at this focal length, for test shots?

180 is an old sports focal lenght (is it?) like Olympic Sonnar and Nikkor 180/2.8 but nowdays a portrait lens?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason for 180mm was to be able to build a reasonably compact lens that is still bright and not very soft wide open. They may even be a bit shorter like 175mm.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 mm for some people is a portrait lens.

Should be lighter than the old 180 .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples with mine (Tokina made silver ear preset Soligor 180mm F3.5)

Fungkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Polekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Kittykeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Some samples with mine (Tokina made silver ear preset Soligor 180mm F3.5)

Fungkeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Polekeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Kittykeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

Aside CAs, amazingly good for an old tele.

PS
That kitty has her twin in my town (same half coloured face)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Seligor looks pretty smooth. What other 180mm fixes can be recommended for portraiture (good rendering)? (camera A7R2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CZJ Sonnar 180mm/2.8
Tamron adaptall-2 180mm/2.5 63b

Both much heavier and more expensive, the Tamron is the more modern option, the CZJ is really vintage.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Interesting. Seligor looks pretty smooth. What other 180mm fixes can be recommended for portraiture (good rendering)? (camera A7R2)

Nikon 180 ED;

Canon 200 2,8;