Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leaking light in adapter flange.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Leaking light in adapter flange. Reply with quote

With some adapters and manual lenses the light is leaking around the flange. Are there any simple step to do in order to prevent this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been some discussion of this on PF specifically with reference to M42 lenses with a mount that isn't very wide:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302385-preventing-m42-adapter-light-leaks-dust-ingress-easy-solution.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply wrapping some dark cloth around the adapter/rear of the lens will probably work.
A more permanent solution may be possible but will depend on the adapter.

Light leakage can be an issue with Pentax 110 adapters, with light getting in where the lens release lever passes through the adapter. It's not normally an issue for me but has appeared when dark filters are being used.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a hair tie around it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, the problem I had was just with a cheap adapter. Lenses were fine. I used electrical tape until I bought something with tighter tolerances. It worked fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with a Minolta/Sony A adaptor, light was getting in through the lens release lever. I have wrapped electrical tape around it and the problem has disappeared.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using electrical tape also, but the one without glue on it, it's more elastic and it's easy to remove

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to describe exactly where you feel the light leak is occurring,
any one of us may be able to better advise you.

I see mention of electrical/electrician's tape already, but how about what's frequently
named 'hockey tape' here in the US, or Gaffer's tape?
A black cloth tape, it sticks very well to itself, but does not tend to leave residues
of adhesive. If it's a situation where a wrap around the outside of a lens/adapter
fitting would seal the light, then two tight wraps around it may be all that's needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had that too, especially when doing low light, high ISO shooting. Used aluminum foil and rubber bands...