Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Benoist Berthiot Elliptar 1.8/105 freelensing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Benoist Berthiot Elliptar 1.8/105 freelensing Reply with quote

Here are some quick test shots taken with this huge projection lens (more than 70mm in diameter). I haven't found any details about it online, so it might be rather rare, and for sure not easily adaptable.

Having no appropriate adapter I took the shots freelensing on Sony A7. This way tilt effects are unavoidable and the images do not speak justly about the lens sharpness. I am pretty impressed though with microcontrast delivered by such a fast glass. The bokeh is pleasing.

#4 A 100% crop from an indoor shot. I should have raised ISO to get a better image shape, reserve that for the next time...

As for the lens itself, pictures from this ended ebay auction of its close relative may give an idea. Please refer to the page bottom for other images, as they seem to be kept there and no more in the main place.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Benoist Berthiot Elliptar 1.8/105 freelensing Reply with quote

Nice one. French glass. I got a projection lens recently as well and in the process of adapting it.

Last edited by vivaldibow on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Benoist Berthiot Elliptar 1.8/105 freelensing Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Nice one. French glass. I got a projection lens recently as well and in the process of adapting it.

Tip: Click the Reply button instead of the quote link to avoid cluttering the thread with repeat of images.

Last edited by visualopsins on Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, share your adaptation and test shots when you finish! That is always a fascinating matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Benoist Berthiot Elliptar 1.8/105 freelensing Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Tip: Click the Reply button instead of the quote link to avoid cluttering the thread with repeat of images.

Thanks. Will do. Actually I wish the reply button could be by the side of Quote button or there is an option to quote the text only.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Please, share your adaptation and test shots when you finish! That is always a fascinating matter.

Waiting for a caliper to do some measurements.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chance with measurements and adaptation!