Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-P 180/2.8 focus stuck
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-P 180/2.8 focus stuck Reply with quote

Friend of mine gave me her late fathers lens to check and maybe sell. Looks like it was discarded a long time ago because the focusing was totally stuck.

Any idea what to do, just use force (Luke) or try disassembly?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try disassembly may be best use of the force

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what works best for you, either selling as is or repairing.
But I would advise against using force.

Otherwise you might break lens transaxle https://vimeo.com/77534838 Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the focusing collar on that lens attaches, but it bears taking a look at it. It might be something relatively simple, like a screw having come loose, dropping down and binding the mechanism. Anyway, that's where I'd start taking it apart.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common ailment of these lenses. It will have to be stripped down, cleaned and relubed. It's not terribly difficult but takes a bit of time. Do not force it, you'll end up shearing the focus guide, and then good luck finding a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fixed one of these up for a Florida Today photographer. I don't recall what I did exactly for the focus mechanism, only that the lens was one of the easier ones I've worked on.

Follow best practice (JIS screwdrivers, naptha on stuck/adhered threads, stop and assess if something doesn't want to move) and there shouldn't be any issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
I've fixed one of these up for a Florida Today photographer. I don't recall what I did exactly for the focus mechanism, only that the lens was one of the easier ones I've worked on.

Follow best practice (JIS screwdrivers, naptha on stuck/adhered threads, stop and assess if something doesn't want to move) and there shouldn't be any issues.

thanks!

I been thinking that you could drip some solvent to the helicoid parts not even opening it fully, because putting it back could be a difficult operation.

Any ideas what could be the safest option when I don't want to oil the whole lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
I been thinking that you could drip some solvent to the helicoid parts not even opening it fully, because putting it back could be a difficult operation.

Any ideas what could be the safest option when I don't want to oil the whole lens.

The safest option is to do no such thing.
You will just make it that much harder for a next guy to properly service it.

Either go inside or sell as is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

The safest option is to do no such thing.
You will just make it that much harder for a next guy to properly service it.

Either go inside or sell as is.

I was thinking lubricating the helicoid guide or rail parts, don't know exactly what they are called, if you open them and unscrew the helicoid, then it gets difficult. Usually you see them when you open the back of the lens. Like these of Helios.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:

Actually, putting it back is easier than cleaning after someone who tried to fix it with solvent, or, as was the case with a 50 that ended up on my worktable this week, superglue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

Actually, putting it back is easier than cleaning after someone who tried to fix it with solvent, or, as was the case with a 50 that ended up on my worktable this week, superglue.

could be, must just mark the correct threads somehow

with my Helios it was actually the focusing ring thread itself that was stiff, not the helicoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW can someone help me with a brain teaser problem:

I got the helicoid back into the barrel but it is just 1 thread off the right position. Lens focuses beyond infinity.

Which way should I turn the helicoid when reassembly. 1 thread east/right or 1 thread west/left?

The helicoid in the picture is sort of upside down.

Last edited by kansalliskala on Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:28 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, isopropanol, or, naphtha (cigarette lighter fluid). Toothbrush.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
what cleaning agent you suggest?

Hot water and dish soap. It's almost free and nothing really works better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

What brand of dishsoap? Is it a Dawn that was first developed to clean oil from birds and other wildlife after oil spill in San Francisco Bay? It should work especially well here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
What brand of dishsoap? Is it a Dawn that was first developed to clean oil from birds and other wildlife after oil spill in San Francisco Bay? It should work especially well here.

this one, works well also as film wetting agent Smile

https://us.ecover.com/products/liquid-dish-soap/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Gardener wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

Lol, no, I buy Palmolive in orange color.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Gardener wrote:
kansalliskala wrote:

Lol, no, I buy Palmolive in orange color.

Lol, no kidding https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_(brand)

Quote:
Introduced in 1973,[1] it is the best-selling brand of dishwashing liquid in the United States.[2] Besides being used for dishwashing purposes, Dawn products are also used to remove grease from other items, such as animal fat spilled onto highways,[3] and oil on animals, such as during the Exxon Valdez...