Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

KARAT 1,2/8-40 anybody?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: KARAT 1,2/8-40 anybody? Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I bought two Helios 44-2 lenses from my favorit Russian seller on eBay but the man made a mistake.
He shipped me only one Helios 44-2 together with a KARAT 1,2/8-40. ("Karat", but written as "Kapat").

I had never heard of this lens...untill now.
It's a big solid thing without aperture (as far as I can see) and with a very strange mount.
Hardly any information can be found about this lens.

So... does anybody know if this lens would be adaptable? And if it is worth the effort to do this.

This is such a lens on eBay, they can be bought dirt cheap: https://www.ebay.de/itm/283454254634

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it will cover very few, really not a lot of interest for modern photo. This lens was used on Kvartz XL 8mm video camera.

My master adapted one to M42, and added a rear lens to extend the covering circle, as an experiment, but IQ is bad (as it was only an experiment).

http://pierretizien-photos.blogspot.com/p/karat.html

This photo on APS-C, but again, after a modification of lens design.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I already knew that this is a dedicated lens for the Kvartz XL 8mm video camera.
But I also read that this camera was one of the best Russiann 8mm camera's ever made (for what this is worth I guess...).

So it surprises me that even after modification this lens delivers such poor quality.
It's a big nicely build lens and I honestly had higher expectations of it.

Oh well, I can only hope that my Russian friend will send me the Helios 44-2 that I ordered after all.

Anybody interested in a Karat lens? I have one at a very reasonable price Wink.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I already knew that this is a dedicated lens for the Kvartz XL 8mm video camera.
But I also read that this camera was one of the best Russiann 8mm camera's ever made (for what this is worth I guess...).

So it surprises me that even after modification this lens delivers such poor quality.
It's a big nicely build lens and I honestly had higher expectations of it.

Oh well, I can only hope that my Russian friend will send me the Helios 44-2 that I ordered after all.

Anybody interested in a Karat lens? I have one at a very reasonable price Wink.

As I told, this sample image is from a modified Karat. It was modified to extend of covering circle, but it lost some IQ because of it. Original IQ is way better, but it cover so few that there is not point to use it exepted on Pentax-Q I guess.