Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wollensak Fototel 20 inch f6.3 first test
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Wollensak Fototel 20 inch f6.3 first test Reply with quote

This is Wollensak's licensing of the De Oude Delft Fototel mirror lens, introduced in 1953. Mine is is nearly mint condition, and appears to be a prototype or first "edition", because within a year they had changed the external appearance. It seems reasonably sharp, and has pretty good contrast. One interesting thing is that it focuses by moving the front lens/mirror, rather than the whole lens like my Nikkor 500mm/f5. It has a very good MFD, and the image does not fall apart close up as the Nikkor's image does. The orange flower image is MFD, the others close to that. I will try it later at further distances when I have a subject. These are SOOC, metered for highlights, just as ACR thinks they should be, although as posted they exceed safe chroma values.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a photo of the lens?

Interesting. First came across the Wollensak name with early Winchester rifle scopes- the first "A" series...
Winchester assembled the scopes with Wollensak made lenses.

No slouches as straight up camera lenses either.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Looks good to me Toby!

Much better than results I saw from other Old Delft Fototel mirror lenses!
This one uses focusing using the secondary (front) mirror, quite common
with astro mirror lenses.

Lucky find this Wollensak version!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a comparison with a 150-500mm f5. 6 Tokina I have, which is actually quite decent, comparable in sharpness in the center to my Nikkor 400mm f5.6 in the center. The Fototel is not quite as sharp, but still not bad. I'll be interested to get home and compare with my old reflex Nikkor 500/5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wollensak Fototel 20 inch f6.3 first test Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
This is Wollensak's licensing of the De Oude Delft Fototel mirror lens, introduced in 1953. Mine is is nearly mint condition, and appears to be a prototype or first "edition", because within a year they had changed the external appearance. It seems reasonably sharp, and has pretty good contrast. One interesting thing is that it focuses by moving the front lens/mirror, rather than the whole lens like my Nikkor 500mm/f5. It has a very good MFD, and the image does not fall apart close up as the Nikkor's image does. The orange flower image is MFD, the others close to that. I will try it later at further distances when I have a subject. These are SOOC, metered for highlights, just as ACR thinks they should be, although as posted they exceed safe chroma values.

Quite nice rendering.
I really like this one and wonder how it would look in monochrome
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the lens--big and heavy. Interestingly it has a meniscus lens at the rear to adapt to various different flange distances for the cameras for which it was made, instead of simply changing the depth of the adapter like the T adapters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting but with just one simple meniscus lens, a focal difference cannot be adjusted...it would need some afocal system (?)

That negative meniscus lens usually is used as a field flattener, as without it it would have a convex field of sharpness.

I use another "trick" which they may have used too. Such a mirror lens is very versatile and allows focusing beyond infinity, so if you use a shorter or longer register camera, one simply adjusts using the focus of the lens, the only downside is that the focus distance marks do not fit anymore, but so what...[some mirror lenses have inside a focus adjustment which allows to set the infinity point]

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Hmm, interesting but with just one simple meniscus lens, a focal difference cannot be adjusted...it would need some afocal system (?)

Maybe it is a part of the optical design, and applies to all the different mounts, but why would a simple negative element not change flange distance? Or are you saying that without at least an achromat doublet it would increase aberrations too much? It is very weak, less than a negative diopter I think.