Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on Canon 5D mk 1?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on Canon 5D mk 1? Reply with quote

Just like the title says.
I have this lens (which is basically a SMC Tak 50/1.4 with PK mount) and I'm using it with a crop sensor Pentax body.
But I'm planning to move up to full frame and Canon 5D mk 1 will be my choice.
From what I've read, PK lenses work only with crop sensor Canon EF bodies, because of the protruding aperture lever.
But what if I filed/cut it off? Would it work? Wouldn't the rear element be causing trouble with mirror clearance? Did anyone try this?
Also I'm looking for a good PK-EOS adapter model with AF confirmation (essential on f1.4)...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on Canon 5D mk 1? Reply with quote

pulatom wrote:
Just like the title says.
I have this lens (which is basically a SMC Tak 50/1.4 with PK mount) and I'm using it with a crop sensor Pentax body.
But I'm planning to move up to full frame and Canon 5D mk 1 will be my choice.
From what I've read, PK lenses work only with crop sensor Canon EF bodies, because of the protruding aperture lever.
But what if I filed/cut it off? Would it work? Wouldn't the rear element be causing trouble with mirror clearance? Did anyone try this?
Also I'm looking for a good PK-EOS adapter model with AF confirmation (essential on f1.4)...

This might be a step too far methinks.
The Pentax K-1 would be a much better choice for this lens.
Yes, I think it will cost more, but it will work straight away without any difficulties.
AF confirmation for the Pentax-M ..... not sure how that will work
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: SMC Pentax M 50mm f1.4 on Canon 5D mk 1? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

AF confirmation for the Pentax-M ..... not sure how that will work
Even my 2006 K10D and K100D give the AF confirm in the OVF. More recent Pentax camera's have a more developed functionality, I think you can even program it so it fires once focus is achieved.

But back to adapting to a Canon... I'm not sure how that works. I wouldn't be too keen on permanently modifying a lens. There's plenty of 1.4/50 lenses around that will fit the Canon without modifications. Re. AF-confirmation chips: that's a matter of a cheap chip that can be glued to the adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, K1D looks nice, but is would cost me my five or six months' salary (versus one month for used 5D) Very Happy.
The other way would be to sell the Pentax M and buy a screwmount Tak - it's easier to find an M42-EOS adapter than the PK-EOS one...
Or just forget about it and get a proper EF 50mm f1.8 Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (most, all?) PK-EOS adapters mount the lens upside down on the camera to avoid back of lens protrusions hitting bottom of mirror box. Not all PK lenses will fit inside upside down or not. The EOS FF mirror might hit rear lens element when lens is focused to infinity.

IMHO you would be disappointed by the EF 50/1.8 compared to those other lenses.

M42 works well on 5D. The M42 Takumar's 50/1.4 gets hit by mirror when lens is focused to infinity, but fine otherwise; mine gets used a lot. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the old Pentax M will soon go to another owner.
I already have a Sonnar 180/2.8 with P6-M42 adapter, so instead of buying a P6-EOS I can buy EOS-M42 and use other FL's in that system...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the M1.4 will hit the mirror (after you remove the aperture arm) as the M42 F1.4 does.

I bought a EF 50mm F1.8 just because and I haven't put a 50mm M42 / or M lens back on my 5D. The cheap cannon 50 is great.

Use it in MF mode for maximum forum nerd points. Razz

My go to fun lens on the 5d is the 55mm Super Taks. It reminds me of the spotmatic the most, and yes no issues with mirrors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon nifty-fifty is sometimes less expensive than some of the M42 Tak/Zeiss lenses :O

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

Having said that, if it worked without modification (clearing the mirror box) I would have never bothered with an EF lens.

But, glad I did.