Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor X PF 50 1.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor X PF 50 1.7 Reply with quote

I've been planning on buying one for the last couple months. Found a BIN on the Bay for $9.95 + 7 shipping listed in excelent condition.
I was planning on the MD version but I couldn't pass on this one. Anyone shooting with a pre MD 50 1.7?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the both MC and MD versions, cannot see any difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version looks exactly like your picture but is missing the "X" in the name.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference between the MC and the Mk I MD version of this lens is the addition of a little tab on the aperture dial which triggers the auto shutter speed circuitry when the lens is at min aperture. This only works with a few later Minolta SLRs, e.g. XD-7/11 or X700. The MD version has a plastic aperture dial as well. Otherwise, as Koji says, I believe they are identical. Later MD versions have 49mm filter instead of 55mm, with f22 min aperture instead of f16. A sliding lock was added to the aperture dial and various other cosmetic changes. All versions have the same optical formula, 6 elements in 5 groups.

http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more interesting site:

http://www.paulfvs.dds.nl/lenstest.html

Just take it as a grain of sands or salt. MC ROKKOR-PF 50/1.7 seems more
uniformly registers its image sharpness than MD 50/1.7. Anyway there
might be sample variations and testing errors, so they are almost equal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I will post some test images as soon as I get it.I might pic up a MD version while they are still so cheap, and do a shootout between both lenses. Reminds me I need to buy a 55mm hood. Mine seems to be missing. One of the reasons I wanted a MD lens. I know where my 49mm hood is. Smile Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens:

(Currently for sale on eBay as part of an ART SC-II lot.) Plug ended, I was very pleased with its performance on the test roll I shot. Here are some samples:

And those are scans done by an OCR-calibrated copy machine. The photos look a LOT better. I liked this lens a LOT.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David I have the newer version of the 50 f2. It's just marked MD and dosen't have the Rokkor name on it. I really like it also.
This is a shot from that lens with no PP.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been alot of interest in the Minolta 50 1.7 lately. Prices are starting to rise on the Bay, but still reasonable. I see more pictures being posted from this lens then before.
I really wanted the MD version, but this one came up. I still need to post pics of the lens. I wouldn't consider it excelent condition. Optically and mecanically it's perfect, but the numbers are showing some discoloration,and the body is slightly dingy. Needs a minor cleaning on the body.
Normally I'd post wide open shots first, but I've already posted one wide open pic in another thread, but I will post more later.

By what I've read the lens isn't that great wide open , but sharpens up pretty decently by f5.6.
I just don't know about this lens. To me it's a very average.Really hard to nail focus compared to the 50 Md f2 at the same fstops.

Please C/C. I'd really like your coments and critiques on this one.No PP just resized.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again. Maybe it's just the sun frying my brain it's over a 100% F and high humidity here.
This looks a little better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop of original above. Cropped not resized. No PP.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll just have to buy a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens and stop torturing your ordinary consumer lenses for close up work Wink
The 50mm MD f1.7 is a VG lens, but haven't tried it for close up shots. Your results are good if you are not bothering to sharpen in Photoshop, but some cheap zooms (well in the mad house of the bay, maybe they are not cheap anymore) can give similar results.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
You'll just have to buy a Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro lens and stop torturing your ordinary consumer lenses for close up work Wink
The 50mm MD f1.7 is a VG lens, but haven't tried it for close up shots. Your results are good if you are not bothering to sharpen in Photoshop, but some cheap zooms (well in the mad house of the bay, maybe they are not cheap anymore) can give similar results.

Smile Laughing Yup, I hear my poor lenses sceam every time I take them out.Not more macro.

With my 10D I'm limited to macro shots, unless I buy the adapter with glass.I keep my InCamera settings at Sharpness + 2 and Contrast + 1.
I think these settings gets me closer to what shapness levels and contrast I'd expect if shooting film.
Shots are in JPEG, and no external contrast or sharpness boost. I don't even sharpen after resizing but I probably should.

I wish I had the money for processing right now. I'd test some of these lenses on my X-370.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few extra minutes tonight, so I thought I'd give this lens another try.
The lens is starting to grow on me. Very Happy
Shot at f4.8. I titled it f5.6, but I was actually at the 1/2 stop between f4 and f5.6. Embarassed
No PP whatsover. Cropped and resized only.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half stop is f/4.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Half stop is f/4.5

f4.5 is 1/3 stop
f4.8 is 1/2 stop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Typical_one-half-stop_f-number_scale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same shot with sharpening, no other PP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this lens, its not as sharp as the 50mm MC Rokkor PG F 1,4 lens. But that's not something bad for me.