Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji 50mm f1.4 Radioactive?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Fuji 50mm f1.4 Radioactive? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I purchased the M42 Fuji 50mm F1.4 (ecb) version. After some googling i think i found that only the older versions of this lens are radioactive. Mine has a light yellow/brown tint on glass though. I wanted to double check if any of you have this lens and have tested it for radioactivity. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fuji 50mm f1.4 Radioactive? Reply with quote

marty84 wrote:
Hi all,

I purchased the M42 Fuji 50mm F1.4 (ecb) version. After some googling i think i found that only the older versions of this lens are radioactive. Mine has a light yellow/brown tint on glass though. I wanted to double check if any of you have this lens and have tested it for radioactivity. Thanks

Not as far as I know.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1170632@N20/discuss/72157622940516503/

I would say not. The EBC version is not radioactive unless it is a rare model as described by Arkku in the thread. Arrku is the biggest Fujinon fan/expert on the interwebs.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I agree you have what looks to be the latest version that is not radioactive.

The best way to identify yellowed glass you have to look though it.

I recently also got at EBC Fujinon 50mm 1.4. But I think mine is radioactive.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

Mmm.. that does look familiar, but it could be just the coatings.

When you're not using the lens, face the rear element to the sun and see if the tint reduces (or changes colour) at all. Do it for a week or more if you can. Be aware of the usual safety stuff, like not allowing the lens to pinpoint focus the sunlight (hence face the rear element out), and heat build up on lubricants.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
blotafton wrote:

Mmm.. that does look familiar, but it could be just the coatings.

When you're not using the lens, face the rear element to the sun and see if the tint reduces (or changes colour) at all. Do it for a week or more if you can. Be aware of the usual safety stuff, like not allowing the lens to pinpoint focus the sunlight (hence face the rear element out), and heat build up on lubricants.

I use a LED for removing yellowing instead of sunlight. It's not the coating in my opinion, it looks like my Super Multicoated Takumar 1.4/50, Prakticar 1.4/50, Pancolar 1.8/50 and Zuiko 1.2/55 that are also radioactive. When looking through non radioactive lenses they always have more or less the same color as the background.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
... it looks like my Super Multicoated Takumar 1.4/50,

Yes, that's what I was thinking when I said it looked familiar. It looks like my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1.4/50 was at one stage.

Give it some LED blotafton, and report back on the reaction. It all adds to the body of knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for your help and reply's, looking at other treads i don't think its radioactive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link has a list of radioactive lenses, not sure whether included all. I have several of these lenses! Rolling Eyes

https://hernk.wordpress.com/2014/08/24/radioactive-lenses/?fbclid=IwAR0TAHAiCx0VOviQrP3TZSy_9EMilI3TYAy6lb1YjeJ5aiTKu3GF_X2bETw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a bunch of maybe-radioactive-lenses with slightly brown glass, so I contacted the physics department of a university nearby. The professor was very friendly and I took my lenses to his laboratory to check them with a Geiger counter. Everything was fine. Sometimes the fire brigades also have Geiger counters. It doesn't take much time and you're on the safe side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not radioactive -- the radioactive version has the other style focus ring. I've got one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="blotafton"]
Sciolist wrote:

I use a LED for removing yellowing instead of sunlight. It's not the coating in my opinion, it looks like my Super Multicoated Takumar 1.4/50, Prakticar 1.4/50, Pancolar 1.8/50 and Zuiko 1.2/55 that are also radioactive. When looking through non radioactive lenses they always have more or less the same color as the background.

I've finally finished de-browning my Super-Multi-Coated 1.4 50 Takumar -

And after slowly reducing the bowning through months of weak Scottish winter and spring sun, I placed the two LED's from my magnifying stand over the lens and boy did it clean up the remaining staining quickly. I'm now an LED convert when de-browning.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sciolist"]
blotafton wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

pic

And after slowly reducing the bowning through months of weak Scottish winter and spring sun, I placed the two LED's from my magnifying stand over the lens and boy did it clean up the remaining staining quickly. I'm now an LED convert when de-browning.

! Excellent, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="visualopsins"]
Sciolist wrote:
blotafton wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

pic

! Excellent, thanks for sharing!

Just for your info, the LEDs I used are fitted to an inexpensive magnifier, yet produce a very clean white light. So I'm guessing it's UV being fired through phosphor. Note, I'm guessing. Nothing came with the magnifier to say what is producing the light.