Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Color behavior of Konica Hexanon 45-100 UC f4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Color behavior of Konica Hexanon 45-100 UC f4 Reply with quote

Hi all. In February I took my APSC Sony a6000 with the Konica Hexanon 45-100 UC f3.5 up to the most visited National Park in Europe, "Las Cañadas del Teide", in Tenerife, Spain. A place full of wonders and extremely photogenic. The zoom is great to use and handle, very nice construction, but it has a strange behavior. Wide open it renders pictures that are much warmer than closed down. It happened consintently. Here, an example at 100mm at f3.5 and f8. The difference in composition (more or less sky on it) is not what makes a difference, I have some other pictures with almost identical images and it happens just the same. Any ideas of why that happens?
Also, surprisingly, there is vignetting wide open. In an APSC sensor. It has to be very pronounced in a full frame camera.
Sorry about the out of focus in the f3.5 picture, my mistake. I had no tripod and focusing was not too easy at 100mm. Still, I suspect wide open it is less sharp than what I have read around there... will need to really test it properly. This was a pleasure short trip, not a test-your-fancy-gear outing Smile Light was also not at its best, it was around midday.

[/img]

Last edited by Zamo on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera (or PP software) auto white balance setting? Compare again with camera white balance set to Daylight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you your lens is Konica Hexanon 45-100 UC f/4 instead of 45-100 f/3.5?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWB uses algorithms that use elements in the scene to calculate the 'correct' WB. As it is just an algorithm, it is not flawless and things like vignetting at large apertures can influence the outcome of the algorithm resulting in less accurate WB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Are you your lens is Konica Hexanon 45-100 UC f/4 instead of 45-100 f/3.5?

Yes, you are right, where it says 3.5 it should say 4, and pictures were taken fully open at 3.5.
I edited the first post, can’t change the subject. Sorry for the mistake.

Last edited by Zamo on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
AWB uses algorithms that use elements in the scene to calculate the 'correct' WB. As it is just an algorithm, it is not flawless and things like vignetting at large apertures can influence the outcome of the algorithm resulting in less accurate WB.

I thought that could be it, but never had experienced that before in an apsc camera. Vignetting with this lens is quite pronounced I imagine… (can’t test it properly without a full frame sensor).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And checked. I opened it with Lightroom and the cold one (F8 ) had a WB as of the camera of 4900 and the warmer one (f3.5) of 5500. I have to say, I have never experienced this behavior of the camera before, and I was "blaming" the lens instead of the obvious auto WB. Thanks to everyone! I will try to test this lens a bit more and share the results, since it is not too common.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamo wrote:
And checked. I opened it with Lightroom and the cold one (F8 ) had a WB as of the camera of 4900 and the warmer one (f3.5) of 5500. I have to say, I have never experienced this behavior of the camera before, and I was "blaming" the lens instead of the obvious auto WB. Thanks to everyone! I will try to test this lens a bit more and share the results, since it is not too common.

In-camera AWB has its uses, but I tend to avoid it precisely because of what you found. Inconsistent colour balance between near identical shots.

WB correction in PP is more predictable to deal with.

It is a personal choice, but for my in-camera JPEGs I tend to keep the camera on daylight white-balance. Having images taken in sunny conditions look warmer, and having images taken under overcast conditions look cooler looks more natural to me anyway, in context of the associated differences in both shadow sharpness/diffusion and shadow colour.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Zamo wrote:

In-camera AWB has its uses, but I tend to avoid it precisely because of what you found. Inconsistent colour balance between near identical shots.

WB correction in PP is more predictable to deal with.

It is a personal choice, but for my in-camera JPEGs I tend to keep the camera on daylight white-balance. Having images taken in sunny conditions look warmer, and having images taken under overcast conditions look cooler looks more natural to me anyway, in context of the associated differences in both shadow sharpness/diffusion and shadow colour.

AND, color rendering differences between lenses can be seen when comparing results side-by-side...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB on auto will change with the aperture.

Gray card is your friend ..