Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 100-300 f:5 (Tokina)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Vivitar 100-300 f:5 (Tokina) Reply with quote

This old lens has been sitting in the closet for months. It was a "throw in" with the Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro. I finally mounted it on the K110D today and fired off some informal (but real-world) "test shots".

It is fitted with what I think is a T-2 to M42 adapter (don't know much about adapters) and has a little "really hard to rotate" spring-loaded wheel for manual stopping down of the aperture. Lens looks to be multi-coated. Sliding hood built-in. The focus holds true when changing focal lengths.

I wasn't expecting much, but it's actually not all bad for being one of the many dozens of zooms pushed to the public in the 1970s and 1980s.

I'm going to work with it more, because it shows promise, and some of the shots are quite crisp. Resized only = Full original image resized to about 600 pixels vertical dimension.

Resized only

Resized only

Full crop of above

Orange Poppy resize only

Orange Poppy full crop

Orange Poppy cropped and resized and 34/1/0 unsharp mask

Purple Iris resized and 40/2/0 unsharp mask

Magenta Iris resized and cropped and 42/1/0 unsharp mask. Almost shows a bit of three-dimensionality Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thats a Tokina, and its got, I believe, a TX interchangeable mount. This lens is of a later series than the ones I've been collecting, which are the first generation of Tokina automatic lenses.

The very annoying wheel is characteristic of the M42 versions of the T4 and TX. I disabled this "feature" on my T4, to make it manual-only.

This lens is fairly uncommon in my experience.

Your Magenta Iris is very nice !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Yes thats a Tokina, and its got, I believe, a TX interchangeable mount. This lens is of a later series than the ones I've been collecting, which are the first generation of Tokina automatic lenses.

The very annoying wheel is characteristic of the M42 versions of the T4 and TX. I disabled this "feature" on my T4, to make it manual-only.

This lens is fairly uncommon in my experience.

Your Magenta Iris is very nice !

luis, THANK YOU for the clarification of the mount, as well as your other helpful statements. Yes, that wheel is actually abrasive to my fingers, it's so stiff.

I guess the lens must be uncommon, as you say. I know I've never come across this particular zoom range from a Vivitar-branded lens.

I am going to keep this a while, see if I can get any fair number of keepers, such as the magenta iris. The rest of the images are simply "okay", nothing there that excites me all that much. I guess if I was rating:

Superb
Excellent
Good
Average
Fair
Poor

I would put in the middle between good and average. Perhaps slightly better than average, more towards Good, based on the (processed) last image. Confused