Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flower photos from the Petri CC Auto 55mm 1.8 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Flower photos from the Petri CC Auto 55mm 1.8 lens Reply with quote

Hi. I've had my M42 mount Petri 55mm for a while but haven't taken it out too much. I know it has a good reputation and I went ahead and cleaned it the other day by removing the front element, along with my Orikkor 50/2. It just has to be one of my favourite lenses really. It's really soft and glowy wide open, but even stopping down a bit improves sharpness greatly. All in all, a beautiful piece of glass and one I should use more often. Two at f1.8, showing that softness and glow, and one at f5.6 to show how sharpness and contrast improves greatly.

Here are some flower photos from the front garden using the Petri on my Sony Nex 6. Straight out of camera JPGs with no extra processing done. Focus is on the yellow flower. Not great photos, obviously, but demonstrates what an old beauty this lens really is:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I've got the same lens but unfortunately in Petri mount.. 😭

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very pleasing results for sure.
That second image has quite beautiful rendering and buttery smooth bokeh.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very pleasing results for sure.
That second image has quite beautiful rendering and buttery smooth bokeh.
Tom

Yes. Certainly by 5.6, the sharpness and contrast has improved a lot. It is almost a different lens actually. You can see the detail on the flower petals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Nice!

I've got the same lens but unfortunately in Petri mount.. 😭

Judging by my results, it is worth converting it for use!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold mine. Rolling Eyes But I'll find another. It's a wonderful lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Could you post another couple of pictures where the bokeh is visible?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'll post some when I have more.

Steve

wolan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 small Could you post another couple of pictures where the bokeh is visible?

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri 55 1.8 breechlock ,excellent sharpness and contrast ,handles glares and highlights very good in small package lens

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same Petri ,bokeh? Hm first lens I have with this kind of bokeh, definitely needs more testing done -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've found it to be pretty busy as far as bokeh goes, but not unattractive. It's pretty smooth really. What I like is that at f1.8 it's a very different lens to when it's stopped down. It gives anyone a lot of flexibility out there in the field. My biggest gripe is that it feels a little fragile. That said, my version is all metal, small, and has lasted for nearly 60 years, so it must be solid enough.

The Petri Orrikor I have is probably one of the most attractive 50s I have, and I have lots of 50s. It's a tiny thing and looks much like an old rangefinder lens. My copy is in pretty good condition really. Focus is a touch on the stiffer side, but still usable. There was one fungus spot on the front of the second element, but I cleaned it off.

Steve

kiddo wrote:

Same Petri ,bokeh? Hm first lens I have with this kind of bokeh, definitely needs more testing done -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharpness and highlights, not easy prone to reflections - I wouldn't call it harsh bokeh, but definitely needs a good adapter to check it out - my version is the all metal ring, but it's so small and light comparing with other 50's 1.7 - mine it's got very smooth focus, not much used before, and nice coatings for a 70's lens (not sure what year is exactly ) - I do have the large electric version of the 135 mm 2.8 ,but needs some cleaning ,lots of dust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck I really need to get mine in use.. 😆

Only (nex) adapters I've seen are pretty pricey alas..

I did find an old (possibly custom) metal petri>m42 adapter once.. Only to find someone had wedged an m42>petri adapter onto it.. 😭😭😭😭

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
Heck I really need to get mine in use.. 😆

Only (nex) adapters I've seen are pretty pricey alas..

I did find an old (possibly custom) metal petri>m42 adapter once.. Only to find someone had wedged an m42>petri adapter onto it.. 😭😭😭😭

I've seen such an old adapter ,but I've read somewhere that it wouldn't work , probably might do in a M42 helical - now I've found a Petri 55 1.4 but couldn't find any info about this breechlock - indeed those US made adapters are nice looking , if the lens is very good , as it seems to be ,definitely worth it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Petri 55 1.8 comes with a metal ring, just like Minolta 55 1.7 PF, but I've seen same front lens with rubber or leather on the focus ring (this last one in M42), wonder if would be all the same lens, as they share same front ring,or might be another maker?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is exactly like this one in M42 mount:

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/953-petri-c-c-auto-55mm-f-1-8-16

kiddo wrote:
My Petri 55 1.8 comes with a metal ring, just like Minolta 55 1.7 PF, but I've seen same front lens with rubber or leather on the focus ring (this last one in M42), wonder if would be all the same lens, as they share same front ring,or might be another maker?
[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="secludedsea"]Mine is exactly like this one in M42 mount:

http://m42lens.com/m42-lens-database/953-petri-c-c-auto-55mm-f-1-8-16

I have the same lens which, after I purchased it, had it CLA'd and it's now one of my favourite 55mm's.
Glowy wide open but from f4 is razor sharp.