Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

using ND filters in Topcor RE lenses in a Sony A7Rii
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: using ND filters in Topcor RE lenses in a Sony A7Rii Reply with quote

Hi: I have been reading your forums and notice that there is a lot of photographers here with knowledge that may be able to help me. I have a set of Topcor lenses that I use in my Sony A7Rii with an adapter, I need help, when I use my ND F-pro B+W filter I always get and arch reflection on the bottom left of the photo Twisted Evil . The funny thing is that it only happens with my Topcor lenses the 58mm f1.8 RE and 35mm f2.8 {I also have the 100mm 2.8 and the 135mm 3.5 but I don't use ND filters on those} it does't happen with my 20mm f4 nikkor and 28mm f2.8 nikkor both ai manual focus lenses.
I love the quality of my Topcor lenses but i do a lot of nature and landscape photography and when I do seascapes and water falls i like to take long exposures that requires the use of ND filters.
My Nikkors are very good performers but my Topcor lenses are just the best I have try on my Sony,( I have been trying different lenses on my Sony for 2 years and finally decide that the Topcors are the best for my camera) I have try Canon FD, Minolta, Vivitar, Sigma and Mamiya/Sekor. But I have to tell you my 58mm 1.8 and my 100mm 2.8 Topcor are the best, very sharp, NO CA and at the same time have a 3 dimensional look. I also use with adapters Hassleblad C lenses (that I have from my portrait photography background) and Carl Ziess Jena lenses for my artistic vintage look.
I have been a Photographer for over 40 years and has never encounter something like this, If any one had this situation before please share it with me.
Thanks

I have been thinking of maybe getting a different brand of ND filters to see if it there is some kind of incompatibility with the Topcors.

I will include a sample photo I took in my neighborhood to show the reflection, some times is a lot bigger than this but I always get the reflection on my RE Topcor lenses. {please don't judge the lens by these photo because I am just trying to recreate the problem, but normally I would not use a 30 seconds exposure on a windy day like this with an ND filter} I also included a crop of the affected area.

"Update" No one has answered my question, but I think i may have figure it out, I try some test photos with my 77mm ND B+W filter using a reduction ring and it does not show the reflection that I get when using my 58mm ND filter. I still heve to do more testing. Will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered similar problems when using my Topcor 20mm with ND filter (Square slide in type). If you are using the same type of filters I would try and carefully cover the top & sides of the filter with a dark thick cloth.I found this works well especially when I have stacked 2 filters in front of the lens. This seems to stop any light reflections on the filters, you just have to be careful not to cover any part that will be seen in your pictures. I now carry a piece of cloth with my filters for this purpose.