Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait with a 1936 Leitz Summar 5cm f/2.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Portrait with a 1936 Leitz Summar 5cm f/2.0 Reply with quote

This lens was a bit of a gamble, but the description in the ad made it sound much worse than I suspected it would be. I was right Thank You Dog

Although it will need a CLA soon, it can make for some lovely images. I have to be very careful with backlight though.

Image made with a Leica Monochrom, at f/3.2 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very difficult lighting, but fascinating!
You will have good satisfationn also from this old gem.
All the best,
sandro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sandro! It's indeed a lens that I am getting really really fond of. It has a very cinematic way of drawing an image, especially at wider apertures.

A quick snap at the terrace with a friend, barely edited:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Thank you Sandro! It's indeed a lens that I am getting really really fond of. It has a very cinematic way of drawing an image, especially at wider apertures.

Very impressive result.
A lot to like about that lens for sure
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Portrait with a 1936 Leitz Summar 5cm f/2.0 Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

Oooh, Summicron-like contrast. Nice!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Portrait with a 1936 Leitz Summar 5cm f/2.0 Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Oooh, Summicron-like contrast. Nice!
Thanks Michael, but the lens has in fact a relatively low contrast. The contrast seen on the 1st image is partly the lighting, and partly the processing.

Oldhand wrote:

Very impressive result.
A lot to like about that lens for sure
Tom
Thanks! Yes, it's a lens with boatloads of character, and a very unique one at that. Hopefully the CLA will make it a bit easier on strong backlighting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

this one is also better. Wonderful fantasic and 3d background, and we know as these are important things.... Like 1 Like 1
All the best,
Sandro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sandro!
Yes, the bokeh of this lens is quite something, even when stopped down a little Whoo Turtle