Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Street portraits with a 1938 Leitz Elmar 3.5cm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Street portraits with a 1938 Leitz Elmar 3.5cm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Finally found one in acceptable condition, at an acceptable price. Finally!
Lovely little lens, it doesn't even need a CLA soon Thank You Dog

Images taken with the lens mounted on a Leica Monochrom. Orange-filter was used.

This is what happens when you hand over the camera and explain how it works:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, this is how this gigantic piece of glass looks like when mounted Laugh 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Just for fun, this is how this gigantic piece of glass looks like when mounted Laugh 1

Laugh 1 . Yep. I have the FED version. When I took the lens apart for cleaning, I couldn't believe how small and delicate the glass was. It's a while ago now, but I'm sure I commented on one element looking like a thickish contact lens.

I've still not been able to get my head around how little lenses can produce the same as big lenses for the same format. One day...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

I've still not been able to get my head around how little lenses can produce the same as big lenses for the same format. One day...

I'm a big fan of Elmars -- especially the 5cm/50mm f/3.5. One of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen with fantastic contrast. And I'm sure the 3.5cm is every bit as good.

I've told the story here at the forum before, but it bears repeating. Back in about 1990, when I was making a living as a camera dealer, I was at a big California show when another dealer I knew well walked up to me and handed me two 8x10 B&W glossy photos. They were both of the same, identical scene -- a small church with a tall steeple in a rural setting. So my friend asks me if I can tell which was taken with a 4x5 and which was taken with a 35mm. I looked at them for a moment, and then pointed at one and said, "That's the 35mm one." He asked me how I knew. And I told him the only way I could tell the difference was the 35mm photo had more visible grain. Otherwise, there was really no difference in terms of sharpness -- resolution in this case -- or contrast. I asked him what was used to take the 35mm photo, and he told me it was a Leica IIIG with a 50mm f/3.5 Elmar. I don't recall him telling me what film was used. I've been a giant fan of Elmars ever since. I owned one briefly that came with an M3 that was inventory, and I enjoyed it while I had the M3, but it parted company with me with the camera, since they were being offered as a package deal. That particular Elmar was actually an LTM lens with an M adapter.

Back in those days, 50mm Elmars could be bought for very cheap sums. Wish that were still the case, cuz I'd like to have another one. The same is definitely true with the 3.5cm -- or 35mm -- f/3.5

Last edited by cooltouch on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very very good, and 1 especially is excellent for my tastes.
Sandro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Yep. I have the FED version. When I took the lens apart for cleaning, I couldn't believe how small and delicate the glass was. It's a while ago now, but I'm sure I commented on one element looking like a thickish contact lens.
I wasn't aware of a FED-copy of the 3.5cm Elmar. Do you have more details? I know the 28mm 4.5 which looks similar from the outside, and indeed has a tiny element of less than a mm thick, but that's an original Soviet design.

@ sarrasani - thanks so much, yes I saw him and had to ask if I could take a portrait.

@ Micheal: with patience, Elmars are actually relatively affordable, even now. Just don't buy at a Leica-store Wink My particular copy of the 3.5cm cost less than 300 euro, and a 5cm in good condition can be had for less.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more scenic shot from yesterday with the '38 3.5cm:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Digital Gallery MF Reply with quote

Excellent Topic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
I wasn't aware of a FED-copy of the 3.5cm Elmar. Do you have more details? I know the 28mm 4.5 which looks similar from the outside, and indeed has a tiny element of less than a mm thick, but that's an original Soviet design.

There's a line of thought that Leica copied the Tessar which was used in the FED. Another that Fed copied the Leica.

My own thought is that in the days when lens design was horrendously expensive, employing rooms of human 'computers', they were all copying (or licencing) from whoever they could. In this case, I believe Taylor, Taylor, Hobson. Some evidence for Leica and Fed not copying directly from each other may be seen in the positioning of diaphragm in the optical arrangement. The Fed's derives from the 4 element Tessar, the Leica from Max Berek's 5 element Elmax lens of the 1920s. Both have to nod to the work of TT&H at the end of the 19th century.

That's my thoughts, and it certainly clashes with Wiki et al. In reality I have no idea what the real story is, just my observations.

Anyway, this link has some bits and bobs on the FED -

http://forum.mflenses.com/fed-50mm-f3-5-t79840.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

There's a line of thought that Leica copied the Tessar which was used in the FED. Another that Fed copied the Leica.

My own thought is that in the days when lens design was horrendously expensive, employing rooms of human 'computers', they were all copying (or licencing) from whoever they could. In this case, I believe Taylor, Taylor, Hobson. Some evidence for Leica and Fed not copying directly from each other may be seen in the positioning of diaphragm in the optical arrangement. The Fed's derives from the 4 element Tessar, the Leica from Max Berek's 5 element Elmax lens of the 1920s. Both have to nod to the work of TT&H at the end of the 19th century.

That's my thoughts, and it certainly clashes with Wiki et al. In reality I have no idea what the real story is, just my observations.

Anyway, this link has some bits and bobs on the FED -

http://forum.mflenses.com/fed-50mm-f3-5-t79840.html
Thanks, I can relate to your story, and I guess we will never know the whole truth about this fascinating history.

But how about the 3.5cm FED Elmar-copy? I don't see that mentioned, only the 5cm? (and the FED 28mm which is an original Soviet design unrelated to any German design, although on the outside it looks a lot like the 3.5cm Elmar; I had a 28mm FED shortly but returned it as it appeared to be missing an element....)