Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Sola 90mm f/4 m39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Sun Sola 90mm f/4 m39 Reply with quote

I had this lens for a while, I cleaned it inside a couple of days agoo (had some haze but was easy to clean!)
Beautiful lens IMO, similar to the Elmar lens and probably similar lens design too Wink

International naming?, Sola = Sun in Scandinavia Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a VERY nice looking lens Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Wink

A couple of quick samples

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it onthe Portrait! The blur looks nice, center looks sharp,
Cool stuff!
What mount is it?

Regards Timo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Räbenfluch wrote:
I really like it onthe Portrait! The blur looks nice, center looks sharp,
Cool stuff!
What mount is it?

Regards Timo

Thx Timo, m39 screw mount Wink

It's a decent performer IMO, better then I would expect.

100% Oly OM-D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the portrait!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The character of the lens and the lost of contrast, do a very nice lens for portraits.

But one thing.....the haze....should become again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:
The character of the lens and the lost of contrast, do a very nice lens for portraits.

But one thing.....the haze....should become again and again.

Probably yes, and I have to open again and again Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sola brand was used everywhere. For a time it was the Sun lens brand name, like Nikon had Nikkor. All their lenses were Sola.
This is a very nice early shiny chrome example. The latest ones were satin finish.
I have one like so in Exakta mount, but sadly with frozen helical. One day I hope I can fix it.
Wonderful portrait!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Sola brand was used everywhere. For a time it was the Sun lens brand name, like Nikon had Nikkor. All their lenses were Sola.
This is a very nice early shiny chrome example. The latest ones were satin finish.
I have one like so in Exakta mount, but sadly with frozen helical. One day I hope I can fix it.
Wonderful portrait!

Thx for the information, great! Wink

I've always looked at Sun lenses as "crap", but this lens made me change my mind

I also have a YS mount zoom lens from sun, 80-230mm I think. Looks like a plastic lens from the early 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!

The lens looks much sharper in the 2nd image.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 it is a great looking lens and it takes nice photos as well...the perfect lens Cool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Loving the portrait!

+1 the self-portrait part Laughing

Very nice results!

I have #82110 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=33123

It didn't clean up so well. Sad

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
Loving the portrait!

+1 the self-portrait part Laughing

Very nice results!

I have #82110 http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=33123

It didn't clean up so well. Sad

Mine is 82025! Very Happy
I see many similarities with your lens, but mine is even older (ref. serial)?!? Surprised

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very happy with that lens. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new picture of the lens since the picture loss and some new samples - A7 II Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look very good to me. I have a beat-up copy in Exa mount. It seems it does not perform as good as yours as it suffers from some haze and surface scratch. Sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice little lens, much like my Canon 100/3.5.
I have noticed that in general rangefinder lenses seem to have a higher level of quality control (QC) than SLR lenses, that even the bargain name lenses have very good quality.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was hazy too, but I manage to remove it. The lens has similar size and IQ as the Leica Elmar 90mm f/4 and perhaps slightly sharper Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've this is in exakta, how do you remove the rear element? I can't seem to figure it how to remove it. font have came apart ok..

mine has some haze that needs to be cleaned.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume a spanner, often a ring holds the whole optical block into the body/helicoid, but I don't have the lens so I'd need to see pics to be of any help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have those rubber things to open lenses. I manage to scratch a couple of lenses with spanner wrench so I try to avoid it if I can 😉

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
I've this is in exakta, how do you remove the rear element? I can't seem to figure it how to remove it. font have came apart ok..

mine has some haze that needs to be cleaned.

Thanks

Did you manage to clean it? Mine has haze in the inner element and even, the aperture is stuck. Or is it easy to change the aperture on your lens? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nordentro"]A new picture of the lens since the picture loss and some new samples - A7 II Wink

Those are nice shots! May I know if how to change the aperture? By just rotating the first thin ring? I can't rotate the ring to change the aperture on my lens. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up this lens for "dirt-cheap", $20, at a show. It was frozen stiff. The rear element is held in with a retaining ring, use a spanner to get out. The aperture changes using the ring with the numbers on it. The front section unscrews, allowing access to the blades. You might try some lighter fluid to free them up.

Construction is similar to a 9cm F4 Elmar Rigid.

Mine gives very good results.