Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

I was playing around with a Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6 that a friend of mine wants me to sell:

at f/5.6

at f/6.8

It is a large lens, but relatively lightweight with its two element design. The Televit R focussing system is a little different from the Novoflex PiGriff I am used to, but it works very well when used on a tripod. I remember reading a long time ago that people preferred the later f/6.8 version of the lens, but this f/5.6 looks pretty good to me. The f/6.8 is smaller and more lightweight though. A comparison of the two lenses, both shot at f/6.8 on my Sony A7.

560/5.6 at f/6.8

560/6.8 at f/6.8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
I have actually just acquired a novoflex 600mm f8 optical/iris unit to try out on my pigriff.

Am I right in thinking that the 560mm can go on a pigriff?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Nice.
I have actually just acquired a novoflex 600mm f8 optical/iris unit to try out on my pigriff.

Am I right in thinking that the 560mm can go on a pigriff?

There are certain 560 Telyt heads that fit certain PiGriffe. The Telyt 560/5.6 doesn't fit onto any Novoflex PiGriffe, at least not by design - anything can be made to fit obviously. The aperture in the Novoflex aperture housing is too small a diameter for the 560/5.6. The Telyt 560/6.8 comes in 2 main versions, one for Leica R only, with a sliding tube focus system, the other for Novoflex PiGriff. AFAIK they were only made for PiGriff C and D, these two have the same breechlock bayonet mount, PiGriff A and B (with a focussing bellows rather than a focus tube) have a different one.

That being said, there are parts that are interchangeable. All 560/6.8 lenses I have seen are the same optical part, the two element lens can be screwed out of a Leica R sliding version and screwed into a tube connecting it to the Novoflex aperture housing and vice versa. The Novoflex 560/6.8 comes in at least two versions of tubes, one is a single tube where tube and aperture housing are a single piece or glued together, the other consists of separate tubes and aperture housing that can be unscrewed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that useful info dickb. So from what you say the connection of at least the 560/6.8 is a pigriff compatible bayonet. That would suit both my "B" and "C" pigriffs (only the 1st gen "A"s are a screw connection).
I wrote the novoflex description on PF:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/novoflex-noflexar-modular-pigriff-system-240mm-300mm-400mm-600mm-64cm.html

This pic by Horst Neuhaus illustrates the modular parts of a "B" system.

However the "B" 600mm I havehas more sections than shown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Thanks for that useful info dickb. So from what you say the connection of at least the 560/6.8 is a pigriff compatible bayonet. That would suit both my "B" and "C" pigriffs (only the 1st gen "A"s are a screw connection).

Well, almost. There is no Pigriff compatible bayonet, there is a Pigriff B bayonet and a Pigriff C/D bayonet. The B version has a much smaller diameter. I measure 47mm. It has a male bayonet on the rear of the PiFas or aperture housing, the C/D has a larger, roughly 73mm diameter, female bayonet on the aperture housing. All the Novoflex Leitz Telyt 560/6.8s I have seen come with the PiGriff C/D bayonet.

This doesn't mean it is impossible to mount it onto a PiFas B though, the front thread of the PiFas B is what I quickly measure to be 77*0.75, the same as the front thread of the PiFas C. So any lens that fits onto one aperture housing should fit onto the other.

marcusBMG wrote:
I wrote the novoflex description on PF:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/novoflex-noflexar-modular-pigriff-system-240mm-300mm-400mm-600mm-64cm.html

This pic by Horst Neuhaus illustrates the modular parts of a "B" system.

However the "B" 600mm I havehas more sections than shown.

I just realised the PiFas B conical rear end unscrews from the aperture housing, revealing a 70*0.75 thread.

I just made a similar image of some of my lenses, from top to bottom
PiFas B with Noflexar 400/5.6 (2 element lens),
T-Noflexar 400/5.6 (3 element lens),
PiGriff C with PiFas C, some tubes I don't know the correct code for, Noflexar 600/8,
PiGriff D with PiFas C (maybe D, I don't know if there is any difference), again a tube and the Leitz Telyt 560/6.8 :

I left the lens hoods out, they are all the same for the Novoflex lenses, the Leitz has a sliding lens hood.

And since this thread started with the 560/5.6, also a picture of the Leitz Televit R system with 560/5.6 and 400/5.6:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a quick shot with the 560/5.6 out of my office window, onto the flat roof where oystercatchers raise their young:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
I'll try and post a pic or two with the 600mm f8, when I've cleaned the optic and the sun comes out....

And thanks for the good info, i have amended the descriptions on PF.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick test of a fairly boring wall, with the following lenses:

- Leitz Televit R with Telyt 400/5.6
- Leitz Televit R with Telyt 560/5.6
- Novoflex Pigriff D with Telyt 560/6.8
- Novoflex Pigriff D with T-Noflexar 400/5.6
- Novoflex Pigriff D with Noflexar 600/8.0

If there is interest I can post some of those, but looking at them on my monitor my conclusions are (bear in mind, these are all just one copy of old used lenses, YMMV):

All Leitz lenses are already very good wide open, the Noflexars improve a lot by stopping down at least one stop, especially the 600 is rather poor at f/8
The 560 Telyts are just about at equal at the same apertures, and the f/5.6 variant is already very good at f/5.6 - this surprised me a bit as I remember reading the f/6.8 being clearly superior to the older f/5.6.

Some more examples taken with the 560/5.6 and my Sony A7, the first two show off the beautiful round many bladed aperture

#1 at f/5.6

#2 at f/8

#3 at f/5.6, some vignetting, possibly caused by my Metabones EF/E adapter

#4 not sure which aperture