Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6 Reply with quote

I was playing around with a Leitz Telyt 560mm f/5.6 that a friend of mine wants me to sell:

at f/5.6

at f/6.8

It is a large lens, but relatively lightweight with its two element design. The Televit R focussing system is a little different from the Novoflex PiGriff I am used to, but it works very well when used on a tripod. I remember reading a long time ago that people preferred the later f/6.8 version of the lens, but this f/5.6 looks pretty good to me. The f/6.8 is smaller and more lightweight though. A comparison of the two lenses, both shot at f/6.8 on my Sony A7.

560/5.6 at f/6.8

560/6.8 at f/6.8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
I have actually just acquired a novoflex 600mm f8 optical/iris unit to try out on my pigriff.

Am I right in thinking that the 560mm can go on a pigriff?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Nice.
I have actually just acquired a novoflex 600mm f8 optical/iris unit to try out on my pigriff.

Am I right in thinking that the 560mm can go on a pigriff?

There are certain 560 Telyt heads that fit certain PiGriffe. The Telyt 560/5.6 doesn't fit onto any Novoflex PiGriffe, at least not by design - anything can be made to fit obviously. The aperture in the Novoflex aperture housing is too small a diameter for the 560/5.6. The Telyt 560/6.8 comes in 2 main versions, one for Leica R only, with a sliding tube focus system, the other for Novoflex PiGriff. AFAIK they were only made for PiGriff C and D, these two have the same breechlock bayonet mount, PiGriff A and B (with a focussing bellows rather than a focus tube) have a different one.

That being said, there are parts that are interchangeable. All 560/6.8 lenses I have seen are the same optical part, the two element lens can be screwed out of a Leica R sliding version and screwed into a tube connecting it to the Novoflex aperture housing and vice versa. The Novoflex 560/6.8 comes in at least two versions of tubes, one is a single tube where tube and aperture housing are a single piece or glued together, the other consists of separate tubes and aperture housing that can be unscrewed.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that useful info dickb. So from what you say the connection of at least the 560/6.8 is a pigriff compatible bayonet. That would suit both my "B" and "C" pigriffs (only the 1st gen "A"s are a screw connection).
I wrote the novoflex description on PF:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/novoflex-noflexar-modular-pigriff-system-240mm-300mm-400mm-600mm-64cm.html

This pic by Horst Neuhaus illustrates the modular parts of a "B" system.

However the "B" 600mm I havehas more sections than shown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Thanks for that useful info dickb. So from what you say the connection of at least the 560/6.8 is a pigriff compatible bayonet. That would suit both my "B" and "C" pigriffs (only the 1st gen "A"s are a screw connection).

Well, almost. There is no Pigriff compatible bayonet, there is a Pigriff B bayonet and a Pigriff C/D bayonet. The B version has a much smaller diameter. I measure 47mm. It has a male bayonet on the rear of the PiFas or aperture housing, the C/D has a larger, roughly 73mm diameter, female bayonet on the aperture housing. All the Novoflex Leitz Telyt 560/6.8s I have seen come with the PiGriff C/D bayonet.

This doesn't mean it is impossible to mount it onto a PiFas B though, the front thread of the PiFas B is what I quickly measure to be 77*0.75, the same as the front thread of the PiFas C. So any lens that fits onto one aperture housing should fit onto the other.

marcusBMG wrote:
I wrote the novoflex description on PF:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/novoflex-noflexar-modular-pigriff-system-240mm-300mm-400mm-600mm-64cm.html

This pic by Horst Neuhaus illustrates the modular parts of a "B" system.

However the "B" 600mm I havehas more sections than shown.

I just realised the PiFas B conical rear end unscrews from the aperture housing, revealing a 70*0.75 thread.

I just made a similar image of some of my lenses, from top to bottom
PiFas B with Noflexar 400/5.6 (2 element lens),
T-Noflexar 400/5.6 (3 element lens),
PiGriff C with PiFas C, some tubes I don't know the correct code for, Noflexar 600/8,
PiGriff D with PiFas C (maybe D, I don't know if there is any difference), again a tube and the Leitz Telyt 560/6.8 :

I left the lens hoods out, they are all the same for the Novoflex lenses, the Leitz has a sliding lens hood.

And since this thread started with the 560/5.6, also a picture of the Leitz Televit R system with 560/5.6 and 400/5.6:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a quick shot with the 560/5.6 out of my office window, onto the flat roof where oystercatchers raise their young:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
I'll try and post a pic or two with the 600mm f8, when I've cleaned the optic and the sun comes out....

And thanks for the good info, i have amended the descriptions on PF.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick test of a fairly boring wall, with the following lenses:

- Leitz Televit R with Telyt 400/5.6
- Leitz Televit R with Telyt 560/5.6
- Novoflex Pigriff D with Telyt 560/6.8
- Novoflex Pigriff D with T-Noflexar 400/5.6
- Novoflex Pigriff D with Noflexar 600/8.0

If there is interest I can post some of those, but looking at them on my monitor my conclusions are (bear in mind, these are all just one copy of old used lenses, YMMV):

All Leitz lenses are already very good wide open, the Noflexars improve a lot by stopping down at least one stop, especially the 600 is rather poor at f/8
The 560 Telyts are just about at equal at the same apertures, and the f/5.6 variant is already very good at f/5.6 - this surprised me a bit as I remember reading the f/6.8 being clearly superior to the older f/5.6.

Some more examples taken with the 560/5.6 and my Sony A7, the first two show off the beautiful round many bladed aperture

#1 at f/5.6

#2 at f/8

#3 at f/5.6, some vignetting, possibly caused by my Metabones EF/E adapter

#4 not sure which aperture

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm new to this Forum. My Name is Alex and I'm from germany and seeking for a littlebit of help with the Novoflex and telyt 560/6.8 head. The head is mounted to the Leitz slidetube and the televit r focusing unit. I saw the Picture of dickb with the Novoflex and telyt head is disassembled like the original Picture of the pigriff b. What size is the tube (length, diameter, and thread size what goes in the head) and the stepdown Ring at the head. Its a very useful and rare picture at the web. I owning the pigriff-b, pigriff-c and the pigriff-d. The pigriff-d is complete different and how you mount the lens. Thanks in advance alex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelspider13 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this Forum. My Name is Alex and I'm from germany and seeking for a littlebit of help with the Novoflex and telyt 560/6.8 head.

Hi Alex

camelspider13 wrote:
The head is mounted to the Leitz slidetube and the televit r focusing unit.

Are you sure? I have only seen the Televit R in combination with the 560/5.6, not the 560/6.8. The slidetube is the normal focussing option for the Leitz R 560/6.8, not the rack-and-pinion Televit.

camelspider13 wrote:
I saw the Picture of dickb with the Novoflex and telyt head is disassembled like the original Picture of the pigriff b. What size is the tube (length, diameter, and thread size what goes in the head) and the stepdown Ring at the head. Its a very useful and rare picture at the web.

To which tube are you referring specifically? I don't own a sliding Leica R 560/6.8 anymore, so I can't lay them them side by side. The 560/6.8 in Novoflex mount disassembles into several parts. From the front, glass to the aperture housing you have:
A the doublet lens in a metal fitting (this bit is interchangable between the Leica R sliding lens and the Novoflex version, the rest isn't)
B a tube
C another tube
D the aperture housing PiFass C

In one of the 560/6.8 lenses I used to have B, C and D were either one single part or glued together very solidly.

camelspider13 wrote:
I owning the pigriff-b, pigriff-c and the pigriff-d. The pigriff-d is complete different and how you mount the lens. Thanks in advance alex

Could you post a photo of what you call PiGriff D? As I understand it is the same as the PiGriff C apart from the rack-and-pinion control on the macro tube. Other versions for medium format cameras exist, with different dimensions, but those are not called PiGriff D AFAIK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dickb, thanks for the reply. I hope it´s ok, that i have used your picture to show you the tube what i need or the measurements of it.

This pictures shows the original pigriff-d from novoflex and how the lenses are mounted. The iris is not detachable! You have got a bayonet connection instead of the breechlock mount of the pigriff-c.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to atache a picture of my leitz lens.....but, here we go!

And I also have got the modified telyt 260 what fits in the televit grip.

Greets Alex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelspider13 wrote:
Hello dickb, thanks for the reply. I hope it´s ok, that i have used your picture to show you the tube what i need or the measurements of it.

Sure. The smaller tube has a length of 77mm, with a female 77mm thread to connect it to the PiFas aperture housing and a male 86mm thread to connect it to the tube holding the glass. That tube has a length of 130mm and the corresponding female 86mm thread. When measuring threads there is always the problem that there is a discrepancy whether you measure the inside of the internal thread or the outside of the external thread. These are the rough measurements of the outside of the external, male, threads. I estimate the speed of the thread to be 0.75, but I remember in Novoflex literature to see it referred to as 0.77mm/turn.

camelspider13 wrote:
This pictures shows the original pigriff-d from novoflex and how the lenses are mounted. The iris is not detachable! You have got a bayonet connection instead of the breechlock mount of the pigriff-c.

Thanks for this!. I was labouring under the misapprehension that my PiGriff was a PiGriff D, but it is actually a PiGriff C factory modified to have the rack-and-pinion tube of the PiGriff D. The original owner told me that that was what happened, but I assumed they had just swapped a model C for a D. So I appear to have the best of both worlds in this PiGriff, the interchangeability of the C and the precise tripod mounted focus of the D.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelspider13 wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to atache a picture of my leitz lens.....but, here we go!

And I also have got the modified telyt 260 what fits in the televit grip.

Greets Alex

So this is a modified version of the Telyt R 560/6.8 that has both the sliding focus mechanism of the regular R version and the thumbdrive focus mechanism of the Televit R? You can get infinity focus with this setup I presume? Just to check that your Televit R is the same version as mine is the diameter of breechlock mount 67mm, I mean in your case the rear of the sliding tube?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dickb, Thank you very much!!!
You have helped me a lot with the sizes, but there is a difference between your telyt head and mine.
My telyt head is only 127,5mm long.
I think the difference between both heads depend on the ring at the rear side of yours.
I guess it´s a stepdown ring....You wrote that the thread is 86mm, I messured on my one a thread size diameter of 87mm and a pitch of 0.8mm.
The ring has to be a littlebit wider as the head to prevent that the lens hood slides off.

Now I try to awnser your question.
Lets start from the rear, the breechlock ring have got a diameter of 67mm, thread is 63,9 and it have the same pitch of 0,8mm.
There is a short tube mounted on the sliding part, where the tripodmount is atached.
I dont know, is it a original leitz part or not.
I just bought the whole stuff how it is and there is no chance to ask the preowner because he passed away and his daughter just sold the equippment. The lenght of the tube is 36mm with inner and outer thread, the inner diameter is 59mm.
The tube at the head is only 62,5mm long without the thread what goes into the head. With thread it measures 67,5mm. I dont know if you can reach infinity with this combination, I didn´t checked it yet. Best regards Alex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelspider13 wrote:
Hello dickb, Thank you very much!!!

You're welcome.

camelspider13 wrote:
You have helped me a lot with the sizes, but there is a difference between your telyt head and mine.
My telyt head is only 127,5mm long.
I think the difference between both heads depend on the ring at the rear side of yours.
I guess it´s a stepdown ring....You wrote that the thread is 86mm, I messured on my one a thread size diameter of 87mm and a pitch of 0.8mm.
The ring has to be a littlebit wider as the head to prevent that the lens hood slides off.

I think our Telyt heads are the same, my measurements were fairly rough as indicated, 130mm included the rim of the ring containing the lenses, measuring threads depends on a lot of factors, a mm difference in measured size is to be expected, and when I say it looks to me like 0.75 pitch that just means a ballpark size indication, coarser than 0.5 and finer than 1.0. BTW, do try and avoid sliding the lens hood all the way off of the lens head, the felt dampening pieces are a major pain getting back in place.

camelspider13 wrote:
Now I try to awnser your question.
Lets start from the rear, the breechlock ring have got a diameter of 67mm, thread is 63,9 and it have the same pitch of 0,8mm.
There is a short tube mounted on the sliding part, where the tripodmount is atached.
I dont know, is it a original leitz part or not.
I just bought the whole stuff how it is and there is no chance to ask the preowner because he passed away and his daughter just sold the equippment. The lenght of the tube is 36mm with inner and outer thread, the inner diameter is 59mm.
The tube at the head is only 62,5mm long without the thread what goes into the head. With thread it measures 67,5mm. I dont know if you can reach infinity with this combination, I didn´t checked it yet. Best regards Alex

Ok. so it does appear to be the same Televit. My R lens had the standard R mount tube, which may well be the same length, looking at some pictures.

BTW, If your aim is to mount this Telyt onto a PiGriff D, Novoflex appears to have made an adapter to fit PiGriff C type lenses onto PiGriff D focus grips, called D RING. I have never seen one myself, but I came across it in this thread:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/238464-400mm-f68-telyt-focusing/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dickb, I found this page too...but the Info what I receveived from you is way better!
The D-ring won´t fit on the telyt directly, you need the small tube with the right thread size.
The D-ring have got a thread size of 77,5mm and a pitch of 0.8mm.
I will visit a friend of mine, he have got a machine park by his own including cnc and wire EDM.
Maybe he can make some parts.....like the tube and some mounting rings for novoflex and the leitz system.
If it´s possible, I will let you know.
Greets Alex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camelspider13 wrote:
Hello dickb, I found this page too...but the Info what I receveived from you is way better!
The D-ring won´t fit on the telyt directly, you need the small tube with the right thread size.
The D-ring have got a thread size of 77,5mm and a pitch of 0.8mm.
I will visit a friend of mine, he have got a machine park by his own including cnc and wire EDM.
Maybe he can make some parts.....like the tube and some mounting rings for novoflex and the leitz system.
If it´s possible, I will let you know.
Greets Alex

Right, now I see. I was trying to solve the wrong problem. You want the Telyt to mount onto the PiGriff C, so you need the intermediate tube shown on my exploded view photo.

Out of curiosity, do you prefer the PiGriff over the Televit?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I try to mount the telyt onto the novoflex pigriff-c or d....

At the moment, I prefer the pigriff over the televit, but it depend on the purpose.
Without a tripod I would choose the pigriff with pistock, on a tripod, the televit.
Both are heavy Laugh 1 plus heavy camera. In my case the canon 7d.
I used the pigriff the last weekend for the first time, at an airshow in south germany and the results are qiute decent.

It was shot with the 600mm lens and an aperture of 11 on the pigriff-d.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Both systems take a bit of getting used to and I used to prefer the PiGriff when used handheld, but if you get to grips with the thumbwheel of the Televit that works well too, perhaps even better. Now I use both systems almost exclusively on a tripod and wide open, so the PiGriff D or Televit is the more precise option.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, if anyone is interested in the Leitz 560/5.6 and 400/5.6 combo, I've now put it up for sale again:

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1529560.html#1529560

I was tempted to buy it for myself, but my lens collection is already rather excessive.