Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon BT-52B fits Canon FD 100mm f/2 ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Canon BT-52B fits Canon FD 100mm f/2 ? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the Canon BT-52B hood will go on a Canon FD 100mm f/2?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google says

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12248-REG/Canon_C445206_BT_52B_Lens_Hood.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BT-52B will physically fit the New FD 100mm f/2 as any B*-52 hood will physically fit any 52 mm filter thread FD lens with bajonet hood mount.

IMO B&H is wrong. Canon officially lists BT-52 for the New FD 100mm f/2 (and New FD 85mm f1.8, New FD 100mm f/2.8, New FD 100mm f/4 Macro) which is quite a bit shorter than BT-52B.

BT-52B is intended only for the New FD 75-200mm f/4.5. This lens has an even wider field of view than the 100mm and hence I would not expect any problems. I have quickly tried a BT-52B on a New FD 100mm f/2.8 and it seemed to show no vignetting (in the viewfinder). I could imagine that BT-52B was designed longer than BT-52 because the zoom lens is more prone to flare than the prime lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fdlenses seems to indicate, it doesn't appear that you'd have any problem with the BT-52B, especially if what he sez is true about it being intended for the 75-200, cuz 75mm is wider than 100mm and all.

Incidentally for anyone who doesn't know, the "T" in BT stands for 'telephone'. You also have BS and BW ("S" for 'standard' and "W" for 'wide'). I think the "B" suffix indicates extension.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon started using the "B" prefix when they introduced the FD lens line-up. All "B" lens hoods have a bayonet mount. Hence I'd assume it stands for "bayonet" (or "second generation" maybe). Some very early "B" hoods still were all-metal. They went by the same names as the later plastic variants.

Prior to that, for R and FL lenses, lens hood naming convention was "W", "S" or "T" only followed by attachment size diameter, e.g. "S-60" or "T-50". Some had a "-2" suffix". There also were dedicated hoods with the specific lens model name printed on them. R/FL lens hoods were clamp-on or screw-in types.

Since the EOS system and EF mount lenses all lens hood names begin with an "E". (Luckily noone wasted the "E" designation on the EX lenses back in the 1960s.) Canon seem to continue using the "E" naming convention with their new RF mount lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No apparent bayonet on photo of 52B above?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your contributions.

I already had the feeling that the BT-52B would fit my Canon FD 100mm f/2, but now I can be absolutely sure.
In fact this hood will do an even better job then the BT-52, as it's longer.
And they can be found a lot cheaper and at the same time in a nicer condition then the BT-52.

I also have a Canon 100mm f/2 Serenar (with LTM, Leica Thread Mount).
And I am in need of a hood for that lens as well.
So If I am not mistaken I will have to look for a T-60 or T-60-2 ?
Or did those Canon LTM lenses even have another/older type of hood?

Edit: OK, I just found the answer to my own question Wink: