Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which manual film lens should I get for video?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Which manual film lens should I get for video? Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm looking for a film camera to shoot artistic videos with. I have many digital sony mount lenses, but for the experimental videos I'm making, I could use an older lens! I like the soft highlight look and low contrast. It should be good for video and should not be too dark. I have a Sony a7s2. I have 3 options to choose from.

1) Helios 44-2
2) Fed 50mm f3.5 m39
3) ISCO-Göttingen Westagon 1.9 50mm

Much appreciated if you could help!
Friends

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use a preset lens? I like komura 35 for vintage look, even though a friend of mine used the flek 35 2.4 , he's doing mostly video, so he's been pretty happy with this flek i borrowed him,of course it had to remove the aperture click. Both of these 2 lenses are different, the komura is more of character lens, vintage look. The option you've put, I'm not familiar with ,for video, but surely could be an interesting option to.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Which manual film lens should I get for video? Reply with quote

nietzscheco wrote:
I like the soft highlight look and low contrast.

You might be interested in buying something very hazy/fungus ridden for next to nothing.
Such lenses have a tendency to bloom highlights and drop contrast when used wide open.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I live in the mid of nowhere in eastern europe so these 3 are my only options (found em on the sale website in my hometown). :/

For video specifically which would be easier and more efficient for the vintage look, if you could guess?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get the one with very smooth focus ring and aperture - it's not easy on these oldies,but you might be lucky - somebody said ,for low contrast , try to apply some Vaseline on the front element and see the effect

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all relatively sharp for older lenses. Check around in used shops. Or boot, garage or junk sales. Frequently it is possible to buy some of the old cameras with lens for just a few dollars especially if the camera itself is broken. You could buy one of those and play with it of course but from what you are describing I think you will be surprised at how sharp and contrasty those actually are. A folding camera from the 1930s with a triplet like a balda, welta, franka with trinar or radiogon might better suit your needs. They will be uncoated and thus lack contrast and poorly corrected so aberrations will be apparent. I'm sure some of those are lurking in peoples cupbords or closets nearby because "It was uncle Joe's favorite and its old so it must be valuable" Those are not too hard to adapt using a lens cap.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome nietzscheco

Helios not a bad choice. Buy them all if you can. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
I'll walk around. For the adaptor, which is cheapest and easier, if anyone knows? M42-SONY ? I'll look for lenses with m42

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which manual film lens should I get for video? Reply with quote

nietzscheco wrote:

2) Fed 50mm f3.5 m39

I'm not choosing this one for you, I'm just reminded that this lens can suffer from a slight lubricant haze, slight enough to be often missed by the naked eye. It gives a really nice soft, detailed, warm rendering that I think would provide a nice 'cinematic' look. And of course, it can mean getting a bit knocked off the price. When flikr gets its act together I'll post the one and only test shot I took with mine, before I noticed the haze, cleaned it out, and ruined the look it had been providing [sigh].

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at photos of the Riconar 55mm f/2.2. It is very soft at close focus and can be super artsy. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios 44 series are common favourite for many videographers, just search in youtube "Helios 44 for video"

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sciolist,

Do you know if the manual focus is difficult with this lens?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nietzscheco wrote:
@sciolist,

Do you know if the manual focus is difficult with this lens?

Manual focus is lovely with this lens as it has a finger tab, although that indicates the throw is not massive. However I've been thinking about how suitable the aperture ring would be for video. Although clickless, I'm not sure it would be that great. It really depends on how you intend to use it.

We're both talking about the collapsible FED, yes?

Flikr is still playing up or I would have put that pic up I have.

EDIT: At last... there's no artistic merit, it was just a test shot straight out of the packaging. I lost that lovely soft, yet detailed rendering when I removed the haze. Duh!

The lens I'm talking about. It has a filter attached with the glass removed to give some 'knock' protection to the front element -

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the choices presented, I would suggest the Helios-44 for "artistic, old-style rendering". It is an F2 aperture, and has "swirly Bokeh". It is lower contrast wide-open, sharpens considerably when stopped down. Used close-up and wide-open, the world will revolve around the subject. This is a "double-Gauss" lens, the basis for most Fast-50s.

If you want to get a different look, A Jupiter-3 (50/1.5) or Jupiter-8 (50/2) are Sonnar designs.

L1007938-Edit by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Valdai Jupiter-3, wide-open.

Below- Jupiter-8, wide-open.

Jupiter-8 at F2 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Both are based on the 1930s Zeiss Sonnars,

Warm November Day by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

1934 CZJ Sonnar 5cm F1.5, wide-open.

Both Jupiter lenses used are from the 1980s- should be easily found in your area. The Jupiter-8 is a bargain, about the same price as the Helios.