Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Revuenon 2.8/35 (old Chinon) with 55mm filter thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Auto Revuenon 2.8/35 (old Chinon) with 55mm filter thread Reply with quote

We know there are many different M42 lenses (and makers) marked Revuenon. This massive metal one have good chances to come from the early 70s, with its vulcanized focusing ring, much like as on old Chinon or GDR Tessar copies, a 55mm filter thread, and A/M switch of the manual aperture control and generally pretty much of glass in the barrel. The full on the name ring says Auto Revuenon 1:2.8 f=35mm 55Ø №71...

Physically it is a perfect copy of the equivalent Chinon lens. I got it in a bunch of other M42 lenses came with a Revueflex 3000 SL (a rebadged Chinon CX), including a Revuenon 1.4/55 with the same barrel-style and vulcanized ring, presumably Tomioka made. I thought this 2.8/35 could also be by the same maker. But in the final count I did not care much, being more curious about the IQ.

I quickly found out that the lens is a really decent performer, with pretty astonishing sharpness and colour rendition from wide open, as well as with very little CA.

Here are some samples taken with a NEX-5N. Later I will experiment with a Sony A7, to see the corners.

#2 Shoot w/o, with a pretty smooth bokeh

#3 A 100% crop from the previous showing little CA

#4 Once again w/o, showing attractive colour rendition

#5 A 100% crop from the previous

#6 Shoot at f5.6

#7 A 100% crop from the previous

#8 Shoot at f8, colours are getting colder with each stop

#9 Flare resistance is weak when the sun is in front, but it does not spoil too many shots

I assume the lens performs very well on APS-C and fits in sharpness and colours to its Chinon "original" presented here, through a series of very well realized shots.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a Sun Optics

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an early Sun production, usually receiving hard criticism, this lens is simply ingenious.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two lenses the same, although neither are identical in terms of the exterior facade. One is badged 'Miida', the other Soligor with a '7' serial code from 1969, which according to the Soligor 'list' is Sun optical. The only reason I realised they were the same lens was by examining the back view of the lens, you can often identify similar lenses that way. In terms of optical performance I would have to agree, quite strong for a third party wide angle lens of that era.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the interesting additional info.

This lens was also commercialized under Derek Gardner name. They are not unusual in UK ebay and end pretty cheap, like this one.