Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29mm 2.8 Fungus? Possible coating damage?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 29mm 2.8 Fungus? Possible coating damage? Reply with quote

Greetings everyone and thank you for having me! I bought this lens and I noticed some markings on an interior element which I assumed were fungus so I took it apart, located the element and soaked the offending surface in 6% hydrogen peroxide, rinsed it in soap and water then wiped it with alcohol before giving it a gentle polish. The marks look cleaner, maybe, (Confused) but they're still there. I'm not sure if any of it has gone. It also doesn't look like typical fungus to me. Is it possibly the remains of badly damaged coating? If it IS damaged coating is it possible to remove it entirely without damaging the glass? It currently fogs the image enough to render it useless.

Thanks to DigiChromeEd for sorting out the image below!

Last edited by bongolia on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 29mm 2.8 Fungus? Possible coating damage? Reply with quote

bongolia wrote:
Greetings everyone and thank you for having me! I bought this lens and I noticed some markings on an interior element which I assumed were fungus so I took it apart, located the element and soaked the offending surface in 6% hydrogen peroxide, rinsed it in soap and water then wiped it with alcohol before giving it a gentle polish. The marks look cleaner, maybe, (Confused) but they're still there. I'm not sure if any of it has gone. It also doesn't look like typical fungus to me. Is it possibly the remains of badly damaged coating? If it IS damaged coating is it possible to remove it entirely without damaging the glass? It currently fogs the image enough to render it useless.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell what this is.
What isn't fungus is usually lubricant residue.
Peroxide is useless against it and soap is only marginally better.

Try soaking in acetone/white spirit.
Most of the time haze/residue comes right off, thought some individual spots and blotches can be more resilient.

You'll have to clean it from solvent afterwards, since solvents leave their own residue too.
I use spare sensor cleaning fluid and swabs for final touches.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like coatings have been affected ,a repolish might work, but I've got no experience with it. I have a Helios pretty much the same,tried many things ,acetone,peroxyde etc and nothing worked for affected coatings. The good thing is I'm using it for spares .

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what effect a coating of fine auto wax like carnauba has on what looks like corroded metal coating?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
I wonder what effect a coating of fine auto wax like carnauba has on what looks like corroded metal coating?

What about cerium oxide?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

What about cerium oxide?

For coating removal sure. I'm thinking wax would fill & clarify corrosion holes leaving good parts of coating intact.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've given it a pretty heavy dosage of peroxide then Isopropyl alcohol then soap. Whatever's on the lens just, maybe, looks a bit cleaner. I think polishing it myself sounds a bit woohoo at this stage but cereum oxide, despite not having a clue what it is, sounds like it may be worth a look! I'll check online now.

Oh, it's for polishing glass! Anyone carried this out without knackering the glass?

I'll give white spirit a shot first.

P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bongolia wrote:
No joy.

I think it may be time to source a cleaner example of this lens. Wink