Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 28mm or 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Takumar 28mm or 35mm? Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I am looking for a wide-angle M42 lens, since I have too much 50mm lenses. I use both film and digital. I've come across two interesting lenses in shops here in São Paulo. Both are Takumars. First one is a 28mm f3.5, not sure if it's a Super or a SMC, and the other one is a 35mm f3.5, and I have the option of an Auto Takumar or a later model, Super or SMC, not sure as well.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have these lenses or have used them, to help me know more about them and to decide which one to buy.

Thank you

Josué

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Josue

The reviews on Pentax Forums suggest that the later 28's tend to be better than the taks. I have the "K" 28mm f3.5 and it is very good, and the "M" 28mm f3.5 is in fact almost as good. But I haven't tried the tak to offer a personal opinion.
I have an auto takumar 35mm f3.5, this lens in all its variations is consistently highly regarded, and certainly mine is a very good lens, a more consistent performer than my vivitar 35mm (komine) and much better than tokina made variants I have tried (T4/TX mount ones). Certainly I would suggest you can't go wrong with the tak 35mm.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M42 Super- and Super-Multi-Coated 28mm/3.5 is the better lens optically, imho, compared to M42 Super- and Super-Multi-Coated 35mm/3.5. That is not to say the 35mm are not great lenses.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
Hola Josue

The reviews on Pentax Forums suggest that the later 28's tend to be better than the taks. I have the "K" 28mm f3.5 and it is very good, and the "M" 28mm f3.5 is in fact almost as good. But I haven't tried the tak to offer a personal opinion.
I have an auto takumar 35mm f3.5, this lens in all its variations is consistently highly regarded, and certainly mine is a very good lens, a more consistent performer than my vivitar 35mm (komine) and much better than tokina made variants I have tried (T4/TX mount ones). Certainly I would suggest you can't go wrong with the tak 35mm.

I also have the Auto Takumar 35mm f3.5, sweet little lens, I actually prefer it over my Flektogon.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 3.5 35. Actually buy both, then you'll know how good the 35 is.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the s-m-c 28mm 3.5 and the super-takumar 3.5. I like the 35 best. It is tack sharp and has great colour rendition.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the early ST 28/3.5, and S-M-C 28/3.5 the early has more character, and the S-M-C has better performance.
I've never really liked my ST 35/3.5, I'd rather have the 35/2.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the "both" option as well. They shouldn't be that expensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the 35mm, but I do have the Super-Tak 28/3.5. It's one of my favourite lenses. Smooth as butter, easy to use (like all Taks really), nice and sharp. No-one has mentioned it, but this one does produce hexagonal orange flaring in the frame at times. I like this "feature" of the lens, as the orange hexagons look really nice, but it's not for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tak 35mm f3.5 is very highly regarded. I would say it is approaching cult status, a "must have" lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Thanks a lot for all the replies and suggestions, even though they make my choice seem harder.

I confess that I've been more tempted to go for the Auto Takumar 35, due to some sort of collectible factor, its small size and different aperture system. Does this system work like a preset aperture? I have a SMC 50 and the switch along with the pins kinda piss me off, forcing me to take the lens apart to make it full manual, the way I like.

By the way, how do the colours behave in photos with these lenses? I have the 50 and I'm used to seeing nice strong colours, with the yellow cast due to the radioactive glass, but I don't think these lenses are radioactive. I'd love to see your photos with these lenses.

Again, thanks for everything.

Josué

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
Hello everyone

Thanks a lot for all the replies and suggestions, even though they make my choice seem harder.

I confess that I've been more tempted to go for the Auto Takumar 35, due to some sort of collectible factor, its small size and different aperture system. Does this system work like a preset aperture? I have a SMC 50 and the switch along with the pins kinda piss me off, forcing me to take the lens apart to make it full manual, the way I like.

By the way, how do the colours behave in photos with these lenses? I have the 50 and I'm used to seeing nice strong colours, with the yellow cast due to the radioactive glass, but I don't think these lenses are radioactive. I'd love to see your photos with these lenses.

Josué

From Pentaxforums.com: The 35mm F3.5 M42 screwmount lens was introduced in 1959 as an Auto-Takumar and the optical design remained unchanged all the way to a K-mount version!

They are all automatic lenses, so no preset aperture. Here's my album with the super-takumar 35mm 1:3.5 https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157631594722413

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
Hello everyone

Josué

The auto takumar version switch operates differently from a/m and auto/man switches. The auto version switch "cocks" the aperture spring; pressing the pin on rear of lens the spring closes the aperture to ring setting. Some people (me) find this awkward.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tak 35 is a tremendous lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar 28mm or 35mm? Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Takumar 28mm or 35mm? Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
If they are the same buy one now, and regret not buying the other. Then buy the other.

It's so true that I cannot stop laughing Very Happy.

Obviously I understand financial limits, but I usually end up buying too many lenses with a bit of help from credit card. Using, comparing and in the end selling the spare ones to pay up the debt. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just quickly checking flea-bay, the Tak 35 is fairly pricey these days. I enjoy my 28/3.5 and also enjoy the much lower prices Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is a nice lens but don't expect a "landscape killer". It's an old design with softish crorners at f/11 even on a crop.

Pentax K 28/3.5 is in a completely different league.

http://forum.mflenses.com/four-landscape-28-3-5-ff-test-t80328.html

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
S-M-C Takumar 28/3.5 is a nice lens but don't expect a "landscape killer". It's an old design with softish crorners at f/11 even on a crop.

Pentax K 28/3.5 is in a completely different league.

http://forum.mflenses.com/four-landscape-28-3-5-ff-test-t80328.html

Yep. The Pentax K 28/3.5 is the one I'd really love to get. Not easy to find or cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky to get the 28mm 3.5 K earlier this year and is definetly a very good lens.
A detailed review can be found here:
https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-pentax-k-smc-28mm-13-5/