Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Priming Generic Macro Focusing Helical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Priming Generic Macro Focusing Helical Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't store them attached to lenses to begin with?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne does have a point there: every chinese helicoid I have required several repeated cleanings after use.
Evaporation is a possibility, I believe.

Yet unless one is planning to store lens with helical attached and unused for very long periods of time, I'm not sure there is a real threat.
After all, the rear lens is easily accessible for cleaning in the majority of cases.

Re-greasing to a proper stable silicon-based lens grease sure would eradicate these concerns.
Depending on one's view on the issue it might look warranted.

Me, personally? I think I'm too lazy for that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Over time, give them a naptha bath and relube with PTFE/Lithium.

One thing to note: the "usual" flavour of PTFE grease (non-transparent milky-white) gives way much resistance to my liking.
If you use helicoid just as collapsible adapter, I guess that's a positive, but if you plan to actually focus with one, I recommend getting the specialized flavour made for lens helicals.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Priming Generic Macro Focusing Helical Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
I have several now from many suppliers all are mostly the same - Pixco, fotasy, Fotofox, etc, etc. I don't want to chat about which is best or reaches infiniti. What I would like to know if it makes sense to clean and re-lube the helical with a more stable grease.

There are many locations where the grease runs it looks like machine oil. I worry about storing the macro helical attached to my lenses of off gas, corrosive, splatter or run. Lens is rare and worth 10 times as much.

There are other comments in threads about cleaning off paint and flocking. This should be specific to grease.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I've never had any issues with the initial lubes on any of my half dozen budget Chinese helicoids. Maybe it's down to ambient conditions, things don't get too warm here Smile in hotter conditions the viscosity will be reduced so splatter or run might be a possiblity. I think it's most unlikely off gassing will occur from any such lubricant at habitable temperatures.

The lubricants will be less volatile than aluminium rolling oils which don't start to boil till well over 200°C - so they don't 'outgas' till you heat them over 100°C.

They are even less likely to be corrosive.

WRT infinity focus that's very dependent on the lens, one of those I use with a helicoid is recessed so the rear of the lens comes out of the back of the helicoid (and indeed the slimline adapter that's mounted on). Other lenses require shorter helicoids (I now have one that starts at 10mm) or multiple extension tubes added to the helicoid to make the system usable.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

I am open to suggestions. What brand or weight anyone would recommend for my use case? Grease is +30$ ea, first hand experience only, please.

My stuff was bought somewhere from China, and the description is in Chinese, don't know how the specific mix is called.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote