Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica m 240 series?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Leica m 240 series? Reply with quote

I had the strangest adventure when I attempted to buy an M-9 months back now: the dealer sent it properly, insured and all that, and the delivery company made the mistake of leaving it with an adjacent business ... and someone there stole it.

Got my money returned but then needed that money for something else. So, no M-9.

Now, I am back attempting to make another decision: M-9, M-P 240 or a M10?

I still have my M4-P though I just don't shoot film anymore.

My desire is to have a camera with a viewfinder similar to the M4 and to shoot in the same style.

Am I to understand that the M 240 is a video rangefinder? Only works if the camera is turned on?

What is it like?

My hope is that someone with experience with the old Leica rangefinders, and the M-9 and the M 240 will help me to sort though the issues so that I can 'make a buying decision'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it, get the M10. It has a more refined interface, much better high ISO capabilities, improved viewfinder compared to the M9 & M240.

With the M9, you have to be aware of the potential sensor corrosion issues that affect some camera's. Be sure to check this before purchasing. Repair is possible, but will cost around 1000 euro. The M9 is also pretty slow in operation, even for a 10 year old camera. This may or may not be a problem. I own the Monochrom based on the M9, and for me it's usually just fine.

And yes, these are digital camera's, that need to get switched on before taking a picture.

There's also the M262, which is a trimmed down M240, without video, live view and some other features. If you're interested in making a video with an M, then the M240 (and the monochrome M246) are the only options.

Can you rent one of these camera's before buying?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rangefinder mechanism is all-optical, BUT the framelines use an LED- camera must be switched on.

The M240 and M9 with replaced sensor sell for about the same price these days.

The new "ME 240" is coming out, new price of $4000. That is likely to push the price of used M240's down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
The rangefinder mechanism is all-optical, BUT the framelines use an LED- camera must be switched on.
To clarify: The M240&later models have the LED-framelines. The M9-based camera's & earlier models have a separate window next to the viewfinder, for illuminating the framelines with ambient light; so on these cameras the framelines are visible with the camera switched off.