Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sigma Super Wide II at long last
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Sigma Super Wide II at long last Reply with quote

I have wanted a Sigma Super Wide II lens for a very long time. They always seemed out of reach. But today I bought one:

Click here to see on Ebay

It was costly as you can see, but I believe the price of these lenses has declined in the last year.

As is my wont on occasion, I went forward with the purchase absent a full understanding of what I was buying. My hope is to use this lens with my Pentax K-01 camera body. Here is a photo of the mount, provided me by the seller after special request:

My best understanding is that this is a MF lens notwithstanding the visible electrical contacts. The lens sends the camera body aperture information, but will not autofocus? Is that right? I'm really not clear how it all works.

This lens appears unmodified. As a result there exists the very unwanted "Ricoh pin", standing tall and proud, visible in the photo bottom left. I understand this pin is best removed. Just hope I'm able to do so without too much difficulty.

Anyway, bottom line, this lens looks to be a decent copy of one I long have wanted, so am happy camper.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good and a good price
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's the MF superwide II. Very decent price for a good boxed PKA example - on the occasion I sell one I ask and usually get ~100$. Full auto aperture on pentax dslr's. I'm sure you'll like it. I have some comparison pics against a tamron 01B I haven't done anything with yet. The superwide II has better edges/corners (even on apsc! ) and I prefer its cooler rendering for landscape.
Don't worry about the ricoh pin, it's a harmless rounded one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Looks good and a good price
Tom

Thank you, Oldhand. Am hoping for the best. Wink

marcusBMG wrote:
Yep that's the MF superwide II. Very decent price for a good boxed PKA example - on the occasion I sell one I ask and usually get ~100$. Full auto aperture on pentax dslr's. I'm sure you'll like it. I have some comparison pics against a tamron 01B I haven't done anything with yet. The superwide II has better edges/corners (even on apsc! ) and I prefer its cooler rendering for landscape.
Don't worry about the ricoh pin, it's a harmless rounded one.

Thank you, marcusBMG. Your post offers hope and surely does clarify things for me a bit.

I could remember, in years past, reading about these PKA lenses. But this is the first such lens I've ever owned. I rather like the idea of the lens sharing aperture data with the camera body while remaining securely in the manual focus category.

As for the Ricoh pin, I'm going to have to take a very close look.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived today. It is just like a brand new lens. I love it.

And it is instantly one of the coolest MF lenses I've ever owned. The camera body actually does control the aperture when the lens's aperture is set to "A". This must be some sort of holdover feature from the days of Pentax film cameras. I never used Pentax film cameras in bygone years. But apparently they decided to build this capability into their digital camera bodies as well. I mated the lens with my Pentax K-01. It remains necessary, of course, to focus the lens manually.

I need to buy more of these kinds of lenses. They are really neat.

Oh, and finally, marcusBMG was right. The Ricoh pin is not troublesome. Wink

Bottom line I am pleased as a puppy dog with this new lens!

Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is part of the Pentax K-mount specification. Modern Pentax lenses still use the same protocol to control aperture (if not always the physical aperture lever any more , but that is a pretty recent development).

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a great deal because the seller didn't know to do anything to make it clear what mount the lens had.

Sigma later made an autofocus Super Wide II (24/2.8) in Pentax AF mount. I got one for $195.

Sometimes a non-photography seller on eBay can give you a great deal. I bought an "Kodak Instamatic 33" that was a Kodak (Nagel) Recomar 33 for $5.50 plus $13.00 shipping. Of course, you have to be lucky enough to stumble upon the listing...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Shriver wrote:
Sigma later made an autofocus Super Wide II (24/2,8 ) in Pentax AF mount. I got one for $195

I got mine in 2014 in Sony AF A-mount for € 69,50!
Thank You Dog