Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Testing Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 (MD-III)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Testing Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 (MD-III) Reply with quote

My Minolta MD collection has just grown by one. This time I got a 24mm/2.8 in MD-III style. It's a pretty OK lens on my crop format camera. I can't see much difference between it and the MD-II version. Perhaps the MD-III has a slight advantage in sharpness towards the corners, especially at wider apertures. I should do a one to one comparison some time. Either way I prefer the MD-III's smaller size and 49mm filter thread.

The lens:

Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

Some first test shots:

NEX6_0003_9228 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_9231 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_9234 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

NEX6_0003_9300 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

The closeups are wide open and the landscape is somewhere around f/8 or f/11 and cropped slightly.

Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 MD-III album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm7NemaK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results.
You must be happy with these
Tom Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Testing Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 (MD-III) Reply with quote

miran wrote:
...I can't see much difference between it and the MD-II version. Perhaps the MD-III has a slight advantage in sharpness towards the corners, especially at wider apertures... Either way I prefer the MD-III's smaller size and 49mm filter thread.

Same here.....
I've had a MD W.ROKKOR-X 2.8/24 and a MD VFC ROKKOR-X 2.8/24
Both were from 1977 with a ∅55mm filter ring and a 30 cm MFD.

This plain MD is ∅49mm and has an MFD of 25cm
Although I did not shoot it much yet, I have no regrets having sold the others....

(Hoping the OP won't mind my postings)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Testing Minolta MD 24mm/2.8 (MD-III) Reply with quote

[quote="Mir"]
miran wrote:
(Hoping the OP won't mind my postings)

Of course not, you're very much welcome. How are you satisfied with the performance on the A7? As far as I can tell from these samples it's more than fine. (I'm thinking of upgrading from my old NEX-6 to an A7 series camera some time soon)

Btw, the 24mm is one of a few Minoltas that changed between MD-II and MD-III, not just cosmetically but also optically. That's why I was interested in comparing the two.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long time a walk in the woods with the 24/2.8 MD-III, mounted on a crop camera with Lens Turbo II focal reducer:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. The 24mm FL is a gap in my Minolta lineup. I really must rectify that soon. Still thinking of upgrading to the a7 series? I recently decided to go from the a7ii to the a7rii as I cashed in some stock and have a bit of extra cashflow. Still researching the market so I can get the best deal. I will likely go for a used one on ebay though the new ones have recently dropped in price.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A7R II new price has been at $2K for months. Where have you seen recent lowered price, please (been waiting for it myself)?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 (Version III) really shines on the A7R II. It delivers sharp and contrasty pictures from edge to edge on high resolution FF.

Examples from my lens test series (clickable for best quality viewing):

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Very nice indeed. The 24mm FL is a gap in my Minolta lineup. I really must rectify that soon. Still thinking of upgrading to the a7 series? I recently decided to go from the a7ii to the a7rii as I cashed in some stock and have a bit of extra cashflow. Still researching the market so I can get the best deal. I will likely go for a used one on ebay though the new ones have recently dropped in price.

I live in a country where 2000eur is definitely not considered affordable, even if you make a decent salary. I could maybe go for the original a7 or a used a7II but even then it's still quite bit of money for me. Not to mention that I'm more than a little uncomfortable dealing with this much on ebay, and locally there aren't many used a7 and a7II cameras being sold. Anyway, for the time being I'm sticking with my old nex6 (which is slowly dying) combined with lens turbo II. It's not quite the same thing, as you still get a little bit of a crop and I have a feeling the lens turbo somehow exaggerates problems with field curvature, but it will do for now. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also turn to the A7r for the A7rII. But I will take used ($1500 is the normal price) in our local market of Sony fans. EBay is not very profitable for my country now because of the ruble / dollar exchange rate.

On topic: Minolta must be a good performer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite nice and fun to use when you force yourself to carry only one lens with you. Smile

A few more from today's walk:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the AF model an I am pretty much pleased with the results so far...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nouh wrote:
I have the AF model an I am pretty much pleased with the results so far...

It's a comparable 8/8 construction, but not the same. I have it as well.

However, in direct comparison the corners of this MD lens are slightly better when used wide open. When stopped down a little bit both MD and AF lenses are indistinguishable and really excellent both on APS-C and FF. IMHO still one of the best 24mm lenses around. Maybe the new Sony FE 24mm/F1.4 G Master is better, I don't know. I certainly will never buy it. Wink

All older 9/7 versions (incl. the Leica-R lens made by Minolta) have comparable (some say better) center sharpness but weaker corners, at least up to F11.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any of you gentlemen know how this lens compares with the Konica Hexanon AR 24mm f2.8?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artaphot.ch has a comparison Minolta/Canon/Nikon but not Hexanon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked one up on ebay. It is MD 24mm 1:2.8 Japan (filter symbol) 49mm aperture 2.8 to 22. I got it for 48 USD attached to a dead x370.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Would any of you gentlemen know how this lens compares with the Konica Hexanon AR 24mm f2.8?

There are two different computations of the AR Hexanon 2.8/24mm. I have only the first, older one: In a quick-and-dirty test it was clearly of inferior resolution, compared to the MD-III 2.8/24mm. Therefore i never bothered using /testing it in-depth.

Stephan