Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This evening in Paris with Topcor Re GN 1.8/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: This evening in Paris with Topcor Re GN 1.8/50 Reply with quote

That was the first city walk for a newly acquired Topcor ReGN 1.8/50, to test it in a calm and pleasant atmosphere of the spring beginning anew in the second of third time this year. Who knew it would register a historic and rather dramatic event!

#1 Already from a distant Luxembourg Garden heavy smoke was seen, of a strange greenish colour

#2 Well, a fire in a large city like Paris is not that rare. So, people around were just doing what they came for, relaxing, reading, picnicking.

#3 Coming to the famous Saint Michel square an unusually dense crowd could be seen. All turned towards Notre Dame church, many were filming with their smartphones

#4 There was quite a shocking event attracting views, and only one water jet seen to cope with the fire

#5 Many people were just gazing and shooting, some talking, a small group praying

#6 Younger climbed on the top of second-hand booksellers boxes attached to the river parapet

#7 As metro stations around were closed, and police were managing the crowd rather nervously and at times rudely, people were arriving by foot from more distant points to testimony the event

#8 As the flame was springing out of the towers, a loud sigh was crossing the crowd

#9 At some short moments you might have a feeling to assist an important football game

#10 Walking away, from a distance, you still might see the same smoke, several hours after the beginning of the accident

Hard to believe that now, for years, there might stay just a ruin instead of this symbolic building.

The lens got its first real world outing and proved to be unsurprisingly sharp, with vibrant colour rendition and excellent microcontrast. The shots were taken with Sony A7, at apertures from f2.8 (mostly) to f5.6, following the light conditions.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reportage, you had a good lens in hand and eye also.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great set Alex. I think #3 is outstanding.

A sad time for anyone who has visited Our Lady of Paris. She will rise again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o, yea
I’m speechless!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Paris est en deuil! Reply with quote

Horrible and you can see all of Paris gathering, mourning the loss of a symbol.

Terrific image, you can really feel the mood of les Parisienne.

Thank you for sharing!
Would you mind if I share the link to these pictures here or if you have them somewhere else?
They are your images after all and the credit is all due to you but they are too good not to be shared with the rest of the world.

Kind regards,
Henrik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, fellows, for your kind words!

MrKodak I appreciate your delicate approach. You may link here, that'll make me pleasure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. They have historical and probably monetary value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent images, as good as any photo journalist would take. You've captured the feelings of the local people, not an easy thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent photo-reportage, Alex.
I haven't realized it means so much to me till I've seen it burning. It made me so deeply sad, just as when an old, close friend or a family member was in danger of death and I could do nothing to save him.
Now I'm glad the old stones resisted and I am confident it will be carefully restored.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well captured. Truly a sad event. Fortunately no loss of life and minimal structural damage. It WILL be rebuilt. I believe hundreds of millions of dollars have been pledged already. I have not had the chance to see any of the gorgeous medieval Gothic churches in person (yet!) but my art history professor had spent an entire summer just photographing the interiors of many many cathedrals and was quite happy to spend day after day in class showing slides and explaining what church we were in what was really significant and why. He was a pretty good photographer, so that helped. Ironically his PhD was in medieval Scottish gardens and I think we spent just part of one day looking at slides of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your evaluations and thoughts, fellows! I am touched and honoured indeed by your contributions.

KEO, I suppose the monetary value tends to void, as the information flows are oversaturated with images produced or relayed by media. Some more images taken with Topcor would be lost among thousands taken with professional video cameras and profane mobile phones. The next day I turned back to the nearby of the cathedral, just to find a small army of journalists from all aver the world making a permanent production of images and comments.

I attach here another few shots of that media rattle, always taken with Topcor Re GN 1.8/50.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: This evening in Paris with Topcor Re GN 1.8/50 Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
That was the first city walk for a newly acquired Topcor ReGN 1.8/50, to test it in a calm and pleasant atmosphere of the spring beginning anew in the second of third time this year. Who knew it would register a historic and rather dramatic event!

Alex, your images are excellent, top class reportage photography, I find #1 quite poignant with the French tricolour flag flying above a beautiful building and smoke filled sky.

Your legacy lens (and yourself) have done a great job

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: This evening in Paris with Topcor Re GN 1.8/50 Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwfcnottingham, Blazer0ne, thank you for your appreciation!

The lens focuses smoothly but in an unorthodox way: the most used focusing distances seem to be concentrated in the range of approximately 30 degrees of rotation, while a good part of the rotating track beyond infinity remains "useless". I presume the previous owner played with dis- and reassembling the lens that gave a shifted helicoid articulation. But that does not bother me much, as the lens works fine with Sony focus peaking, and the IQ is just wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Bwfcnottingham, Blazer0ne, thank you for your appreciation!

The lens focuses smoothly but in an unorthodox way: the most used focusing distances seem to be concentrated in the range of approximately 30 degrees of rotation, while a good part of the rotating track beyond infinity remains "useless". I presume the previous owner played with dis- and reassembling the lens that gave a shifted helicoid articulation. But that does not bother me much, as the lens works fine with Sony focus peaking, and the IQ is just wonderful.

I've had an adapter issue with canon FDn and it was acting just the same as yours, infinity's been reached be4 the 3m on 28mm lens, wich caused the lens difficult to focus in such a short range

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiddo, mine reaches infinity slightly past 5m and physically does not get any shorter until the infinity mark. That is not an adapter issue, the lens works the same way on the native camera. But it works, I did not pay too high for it, so I am OK with it.

Blazer0ne, I don't think to disassemble the lens as it finds itself in working condition. Anyway on digital the original distance marks often do not make that sense. While a risk to reassemble the lens in improper way is rather high for someone who does not have a large experience. Recently I wished to clean a cheap Pentacon Auto 1.8/50 on Praktica mount. It now lays in parts in my box, I just did not manage to put back the two parts of the helical screw together with the diaphragm connector Rolling Eyes. They all turn in different directions and seem to be started being screwed in a very precise point. While for a commonly available Pentacon that's an acceptable experiment, the same for a rare Topcor should be a real pity!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Kiddo, mine reaches infinity slightly past 5m and physically does not get any shorter until the infinity mark. That is not an adapter issue, the lens works the same way on the native camera. But it works, I did not pay too high for it, so I am OK with it.

Blazer0ne, I don't think to disassemble the lens as it finds itself in working condition. Anyway on digital the original distance marks often do not make that sense. While a risk to reassemble the lens in improper way is rather high for someone who does not have a large experience. Recently I wished to clean a cheap Pentacon Auto 1.8/50 on Praktica mount. It now lays in parts in my box, I just did not manage to put back the two parts of the helical screw together with the diaphragm connector Rolling Eyes. They all turn in different directions and seem to be started being screwed in a very precise point. While for a commonly available Pentacon that's an acceptable experiment, the same for a rare Topcor should be a real pity!

Well, my recent experience with similar issue, was always to check :
1. Adapter focus infinity on various lenses (normally should focus little bit be4 infinity , but that we called it ok)
2. Disassemble issues that had the lens, someone , probably opened it out before and didn't put it back in the right way
3. Lens issues (it happened to me recently, as i didn't tied up a ring3 on top of a internal lens,that made impossible to focus )

I wouldn't say there wouldn't be any other issues posible, but i would start with these first. Open up a lens ,could be easy, or very difficult, if not sure, better use it just the way it is. Using the lens on minimal focus with a helical adapter, would be a better option then screwing out the lens itself. When the lens is focusing to infinity to short (2-3 meters up), I understand the adapter is too short and shims could work out, but the helical adapter is still better option, if I'm right, probably the Leica helical is the most usable.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys, for your thoughts and concern. For the moment focusing works smoothly and the past-5m infinity issue is not very sensible. So, I'll keep the lens as it is and enjoy using it, until there is need to service it in a deeper way.