Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bronica 645 Range Finder Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Bronica 645 Range Finder Lens Reply with quote

I recently bought a Bronica 645 Range Finder 65mm F4 lens (lens only - no body). I've looked all over the internet trying to find info on how this lens works exactly? I downloaded a copy of the Bronica 645 camera owners manual, but its pretty much on how to use the camera. It is a manual focus lens, it has an aperture ring, but I can't determine if the aperture ring is electronic or if the aperture blades are hidden inside the lens. From what info I could find the lens electronically winds the shutter using power from the camera body. I was hoping to hack this lens and use it on a full frame Sony A7RII (crazy I know), but I'm hoping to be able to adjust the aperture. Also does anyone how much power/voltage would be needed to maybe electronically open the shutter without a camera body? Which electrical contact does what? Any info is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at adapter for a7r2, if it exists... Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Thanks. However there are no adapters for this lens that I am aware of. I realize I need to make my own adapter, but first I need to know how the lens works first.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks. However there are no adapters for this lens that I am aware of. I realize I need to make my own adapter, but first I need to know how the lens works first.

Maybe adapters for other cameras can yield necessary parts or can be used with existing a7r2 adapter?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
DonN wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Maybe adapters for other cameras can yield necessary parts or can be used with existing a7r2 adapter?

Thanks, but this post is more or less to figure out how the lens works. I'd really like to know how the electrical contacts operate the lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonN wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
DonN wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks, but this post is more or less to figure out how the lens works. I'd really like to know how the electrical contacts operate the lens.

There's some info on lens automation capabilities at https://camerapedia.fandom.com/wiki/Bronica_RF645

The electrical contacts probably carry digital signals. Get a Bronica RF645 body to hack the lens controls, if you have electronics skills. Smile Otherwise somebody else will probably get around to making an adapter that uses camera controls to set the lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the problems we Bronica owners face is that it is an orphaned brand. So people who make adapters won't see much payout for the time they spend designing and proofing an adapter or interface for Bronica lenses.

I suspect, Don, you're pretty much on your own. About all I can suggest would be to search for any Bronica specific forums and see if the brain trust there might be able to help you out. Lacking any such resource, I might suggest you try at the Photrio forums:

https://www.photrio.com/forum/

Go to the analog section, then medium format. There's lots of knowledgeable folks there, perhaps some who can give you the advice you need.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Get a Bronica RF645 body to hack the lens controls

Very Happy

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bronica+rf645&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=bronica+645+rf