Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Elmarit-R 28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Leitz Elmarit-R 28 Reply with quote

Got a new (old) lens as a gift for my birthday. I like its rendering, even if it is said to be one of the weaker Leica lenses.....

First try on Sony A7II and F8:

In the back you see the famous mountain "Drachenfels" near the river Rhine.

Best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using this lens this morning again I want to share some more images, and some thoughts about the lens itself.

Trees against the sky:

My daughters:

This is the first version build by Leitz between 1970 and 1994.
The lens delivers contrasty images and beautyful colors similar to the Summicron-R V1 and is very sharp already wide open.
I can find only one major flaw, this lens suffers from field curvature, means if you want to focus to infinity you have to focus on the edge and stop the aperture down to F11 to optain an image with sharpness from edge to edge. In total it is one of the best 28mm lenses I have used so far.

best regards

Timo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting another copy of this lens in absolut new old stock condition I decited to take the Elmarit-R 28 and my Sony A7ii out for a walk. Weather was relatively cold but sunny and unusual clear.

All images were shot at F8 or F9.5.

I really like this lens. When taking care about it´s only real flaw, the curvature of field, meaning for landscape shots you have to balance the focus between center and corner and stop down to at least F8, you get really good definition.

best regards

Timo