Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Filter cleaning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Filter cleaning Reply with quote

What do members use for cleaning their filters, both glass and plastic?
I ask because I have difficulty cleaning my glass polarising filters without leaving some slight smudges on them. Maybe it just shows up more easily on these filters than others. I avoid using liquid on polarisers in case some gets between the two glass surfaces. I just breathe on them and polish with a lens cleaning cloth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same techniques as with lenses. Smile

New Pec Pads with drop of Eclipse (reagent grade methanol). Surfaces collect all sorts of grime over time requiring several passes to get it all off. Final spot clean using earbuds/q-tips.

As with lenses taking apart filters allows for more thorough cleaning.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cleaning routine will depend very much on what needs cleaning off.
Gentle lens style cleaning will generally be first, especially if out in the field. Despite my huge collection of filters I've not often needed more than that.

For glass filters I might just go straight to acetone (it's plentiful in our lab and shifts most things - but dissolves many plastics so care is needed)
Oil / fingerprints etc. on plastic filters I'll generally try iso-octane first and iso-propanol as a second option.
For inorganic marks I'd use DI water or 'Decon 90' followed by iso-propanol...
In each case I'd make use of the ultrasonics bath if marks are stubborn.

Friends who don't work in a chemistry lab, frequently just stick them in the dishwasher. I've never tried that approach.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I do the same as you, Edgar, and just breath on them, then wipe them with a clean cloth or lens tissue. This is usually good enough, unless they're unusually dirty, in which case I'll resort to lens cleaning fluid. As long as you're careful, you won't get any fluid between the glass in your polarizers. I've never found it to be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among many things, breath usually contains 'an amount' of Hydrogen Peroxide, which, if nothing else, will work in this case as an extremely mild steriliser. On the other hand it is also an oxidiser, so don't breath on anything that can rust Smile

It will also contain 'an amount' of airway lining fluid, but I tend not to think about that when rubbing it around my filters, as it seems as good a remedy as anything else. Filters are a particular pain to clean in my estimation, and my finger ends seem attracted to the glass no matter what. I can leave smudges and be convinced I've never touched the damn thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Filters are a particular pain to clean in my estimation, and my finger ends seem attracted to the glass no matter what. I can leave smudges and be convinced I've never touched the damn thing.

My thoughts exactly! Laugh 1