Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 55mm vs. Hexanon 55mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Nikon 55mm vs. Hexanon 55mm? Reply with quote

Which of these lenses is sharpest?
Anybody here with experiences?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need to be more specific... 😊 There are quite a few Nikkor 55mm but AFAIK only one Konica, the f 3,5 macro.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have the Hexanon. But for some reason I prefer the Macro Takumar 50mm f/4 1:1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 55mm 1.2 Ai Nikkor. It's not particularly sharp wide open (is that any surprise?), but has excellent sharpness when stopped down a bit.

I like it a lot, but it wasn't cheap. It wasn't egregiously expensive either, but not cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 2.8 macro and there are lots of good opinions about this lens . Make sure it has new grease on focus and clean blades , but sharpness probably among the best of the bunch .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A difference between Nikkors 55 2.8 and 3.5 has been noted -- I forget which has better infinity performance...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
A difference between Nikkors 55 2.8 and 3.5 has been noted -- I forget which has better infinity performance...

The nikkor 55 3.5 micro is a recent arrival here for me..
Mine is the last flat field version of this lens. It's rapid focus ability at normal shooting ranges is quite a pleasant surprise.
It has the best infinity performance of all my nikkor normal lenses.
I believe my sample is a factory a.i. conversion- it has the older 5 screw rear mount.

Of course it was actually designed to be used fully extended for macro work, which it seems to excel at, despite it's dedicated extension tube not being included with it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Due to its complicated double floating system, the AiS Nikkor 2.8/55mm has a much better performance at infinity than the Nikkor Ai 3.5/55mm or the Konica Hexanon AR 3.5/55mm. The AiS 2.8/55mm is a six lens design, the Ai 3.5/55 a five lens design, and the Hexanon AR 3.5/55mm has only four lenses. Tested side-by-side on 24 MP full frame Sony A7II. Comparable to the Nkkor 2.8/55mm is the Minolta AF 2.8/50mm - which is a tad wider and thus more difficult to construct. Double floating system as well, but with seven lenses though.

S

EDIT: Topcor RE 3.5/58mm Macro is a very good performer at infinity - better than Hexanon 3.5/55 Macro or Nikkor 3.5/55 Micro. Five lens design as well.

EDIT 2: Most other vintage 50mm / 55mm Macro lenses I have at infinity are better than both the Nikkor 3.5/55m and the Konica AR 3.5/55mm (e. g. Canon nFD 3.5/50mm, Mamiya Sekor CS and E 3.5/50mm, Minolta MD 3.5/50mm, Minolta AF 2.8/50mm, Topcor RE 3.5/58mm)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many versions of the 50/3.5, a single of 50/2.8, and a single version of the AF 50/2.8. If I have to choose one for macro work, the AF 50/2.8 is the best. Of the several versions of the 50/3.5, the earliest one, the so-called compensating version that opens up the aperture automatically as the focus distance decreases, is perhaps the best for macro. But this compensating version is not very good for moderate shooting distance and beyond. Please note that except for the oldest version of the 3.5 which was discontinued right after the small 3.5 compensating version appeared, none of the MF 3.5 and 2.8 can do 1:1. Nikon supplied extension tubes to achieve 1:1, but at the same time you get light loss. The AF 50/2.8 version is the one before the legendary AF 60/2.8. However, the AF 50/2.8 is not very common as its lifespan was short. So, if you wish to have a 1:1 capable Nikon micro lens for a reasonable price, the AFD 60/2.8 is the one to go. The problem with the AF 50/2.8 and 60/2.8 is that they are made for AF purpose, and, as a result, its focus ring is not as smooth as those on MF lenses.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckshene wrote:
There are so many versions of the 50/3.5, a single of 50/2.8, and a single version of the AF 50/2.8. If I have to choose one for macro work, the AF 50/2.8 is the best. Of the several versions of the 50/3.5, the earliest one, the so-called compensating version that opens up the aperture automatically as the focus distance decreases, is perhaps the best for macro. But this compensating version is not very good for moderate shooting distance and beyond. Please note that except for the oldest version of the 3.5 which was discontinued right after the small 3.5 compensating version appeared, none of the MF 3.5 and 2.8 can do 1:1. Nikon supplied extension tubes to achieve 1:1, but at the same time you get light loss. The AF 50/2.8 version is the one before the legendary AF 60/2.8. However, the AF 50/2.8 is not very common as its lifespan was short. So, if you wish to have a 1:1 capable Nikon micro lens for a reasonable price, the AFD 60/2.8 is the one to go. The problem with the AF 50/2.8 and 60/2.8 is that they are made for AF purpose, and, as a result, its focus ring is not as smooth as those on MF lenses.

I guess you are talking about Nikkor lenses? If so, be aware that there's no Micro Nikkor 3.5/50 or 2.8/50, and neither an AF Nikkor 2.8/50mm. It should read "micro Nikkor 3.5/55mm" and "Micro (AF) Nikkor 2.8/55mm".

S

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
ckshene wrote:
There are so many versions of the 50/3.5, a single of 50/2.8, and a single version of the AF 50/2.8. If I have to choose one for macro work, the AF 50/2.8 is the best. Of the several versions of the 50/3.5, the earliest one, the so-called compensating version that opens up the aperture automatically as the focus distance decreases, is perhaps the best for macro. But this compensating version is not very good for moderate shooting distance and beyond. Please note that except for the oldest version of the 3.5 which was discontinued right after the small 3.5 compensating version appeared, none of the MF 3.5 and 2.8 can do 1:1. Nikon supplied extension tubes to achieve 1:1, but at the same time you get light loss. The AF 50/2.8 version is the one before the legendary AF 60/2.8. However, the AF 50/2.8 is not very common as its lifespan was short. So, if you wish to have a 1:1 capable Nikon micro lens for a reasonable price, the AFD 60/2.8 is the one to go. The problem with the AF 50/2.8 and 60/2.8 is that they are made for AF purpose, and, as a result, its focus ring is not as smooth as those on MF lenses.

I guess you are talking about Nikkor lenses? If so, be aware that there's no Micro Nikkor 3.5/50 or 2.8/50, and neither an AF Nikkor 2.8/50mm. It should read "micro Nikkor 3.5/55mm" and "Micro (AF) Nikkor 2.8/55mm".

S

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#55Micro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case the OP question was aimed at 55/1.2 - few shots taken with Nikkor lens (K type) on D700: