Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are your Go-To landscape lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Another is the 35mm f/1.9, which has become a cult favorite in recent years. I don't recall offhand who the maker is, but it is an incredibly sharp lens. And the last one of my favorites is the Close Focus 135mm f/2.8 with 62mm front filter. The CF is the only Vivitar 135 with a 62mm front filter. An exceptional macro lens. I don't recall offhand who made that one either. But it was one of the three best makers.

That two lenses are Komine made (28xxxxx). The 90mm 2.5 macro was a Tokina indeed AFAIK.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. I was upstairs, away from my gear, last night when I wrote that post, and I didn't feel like going downstairs to check serial numbers. So thanks for the additional info. I've had very good luck with Komine made lenses. The Vivitar S1 28-90 was made by Komine.

As most folks here are aware, the Tokina version of the 90/2.8 is called the "Bokina" and sometimes the Vivitar picks up that same label. But my understanding is there is a difference between the two and it has to do with the coatings. Apparently the Tokina's coatings are somewhat better than the Vivitar's.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawana87 wrote:
Do you have any sample images I could see?

Sorry about the delay - the day after I posted we got a big, heavy, wet April blizzard. It's been a few days since I've been able to do any photography.

Anyway, here's the kind of thing I usually use the 100mm Isconar 4.5 for. This is unedited except for some cropping, resizing, and jpeg conversion from RAW:

I often test my lenses (on my Fuji X-T2) by shooting this silo, which has a lot of little details and is situated across the valley about 1 mile away from my house:

I did up the exposure a little, but only because the conditions were pretty horrible. Beyond that, I didn't tinker with the image. Here's a 100% crop of the same shot:

I don't know what this tells you, but it impresses me because it's the best sharpness of any of my 100mm or 105mm lenses. The other competitors were, in order of sharpness...

MOG Orestor 100 zebra
Super Takumar 105
Nikon 100 Series E
Takumar 105 Preset
Nikkor-P Auto 105

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very weird ,my Nikkor P 105 2.5 seems to do better than E series .....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Very weird ,my Nikkor P 105 2.5 seems to do better than E series .....

Well, to be fair my copy is an old warhorse. It's got dings and dents all over and even though the glass is clear it might not be the best representative. It's actually a quality lens in it's way and I've taken some nice shots with it. It seems especially good for black and white.

I myself was quite surprised by the outcome of my comparison shooting.

BTW, I should mention the drawbacks of the Isconar 100 4.5, because there are some, mostly to do with ease-of-use.

First of all, it's got a 41mm filter thread, which is a bit strange. I found a couple 41mm lens hoods on ebay, but they were expensive old Leica brands. Then I looked for step-up rings, and that's a problem too. In the end I just made a "lens hood" using a strip of thin, black foam rubber and some black tape. It works great.

Second, the handling is unconventional. There's a big ring in the middle of the body which seems for all the world like it ought to be the focus ring, but it's actually the aperture control. The focus ring is small and near the front, so it's basically backwards compared to what you would expect. Personally I find it fun to use lenses with slightly oddball controls, but I know not everyone likes that.