Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL 58mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Canon FL 58mm f1.2 Reply with quote

Hello everyone

Recently, I bought an old Canon 58mm f1.2 in FL mount that has been converted for EF, with the original bayonet being replaced with an EF lens mount. The lens was sold to me as is, for a fraction of the original price.
The problem I'm facing is that the optical block is separated from the focus helicoid, and I can't figure out a way to put it back without sticking it using some sort of glue. Also, there's a problem with the flange distance, making the lens usable only for macro work. I would like to shorten the lens body or some parts to make it focus in a more normal distance, not necessarily to infinity.

I intend to use the lens in my Rebel camera and, maybe, with a electronic film camera from Canon.

Any help will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind posting some pictures showing the state of the lens? Sounds like the lens is (partially) disassembled? What did you try for putting it back together? How do you determine there is an issue with the flange distance and infinity focus?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fdlenses wrote:
Would you mind posting some pictures showing the state of the lens? Sounds like the lens is (partially) disassembled? What did you try for putting it back together? How do you determine there is an issue with the flange distance and infinity focus?

I don't know how to post pictures here, so I'll try to describe everything. I bought the lens already modified, with an EF mount instead of the regular FL mount, screwed over the silver ring. When I use it with my camera, it focuses in about an arm's length, useful only for macro work. That's something I'm already working on, cutting off some millimeters off the focusing helicoid parts inside the lens, but I'm still thinking about how to make a starting and ending point for the focus ring to turn on, for the lens to not fall apart when using.

About the glass, the optical block is perfectly separated from the lens body, and it seems the lens had some sort of ring or glue sticking the optical block to the internal helicoid thread. I bought the lens like this and didn't complain, since I got it for about 50 dollars. I would like to know if there's a non-permanent way to put it back, to make maintenance easier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
I don't know how to post pictures here

Use the "Upload single pic" or the "Drag and Drop upload" button right above the text box.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FL 58mm f1.2 Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
Hello everyone

Recently, I bought an old Canon 58mm f1.2 in FL mount that has been converted for EF, with the original bayonet being replaced with an EF lens mount. The lens was sold to me as is, for a fraction of the original price.
The problem I'm facing is that the optical block is separated from the focus helicoid, and I can't figure out a way to put it back without sticking it using some sort of glue. Also, there's a problem with the flange distance, making the lens usable only for macro work. I would like to shorten the lens body or some parts to make it focus in a more normal distance, not necessarily to infinity.

I intend to use the lens in my Rebel camera and, maybe, with a electronic film camera from Canon.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi jhayashileite,
I have this lens too and I wish I used the lens on my eos 6D mkII. To do that I took some measurements of the lens and in practice it could be adapted to ef mount if you remove the silver FL ring and fixed a proper EF adapter. The problem on a FF camera is the lens should hit the mirror when focus to infinite.
I sent a project of an adapter to a russian lab. They should produce it.
When available I will post some pictures
BR
Giorgio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jhayashileite,
please take a look at these video tutorial on canon FL 58mm F1.2, they could be usefull for your repair or how to dismantle the lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIn2mDhQWSY&list=PL-vmg3JP8fzlxWdricuT1m-2WdmT9xSyi&index=48&t=119s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaRQDYFK3TQ&list=PL-vmg3JP8fzlxWdricuT1m-2WdmT9xSyi&index=51

BR
Giorgio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhayashileite wrote:
fdlenses wrote:

I don't know how to post pictures here, so I'll try to describe everything. I bought the lens already modified, with an EF mount instead of the regular FL mount, screwed over the silver ring. When I use it with my camera, it focuses in about an arm's length, useful only for macro work. That's something I'm already working on, cutting off some millimeters off the focusing helicoid parts inside the lens, but I'm still thinking about how to make a starting and ending point for the focus ring to turn on, for the lens to not fall apart when using.

About the glass, the optical block is perfectly separated from the lens body, and it seems the lens had some sort of ring or glue sticking the optical block to the internal helicoid thread. I bought the lens like this and didn't complain, since I got it for about 50 dollars. I would like to know if there's a non-permanent way to put it back, to make maintenance easier.

Hi
I separated the optics by the focus helicoid by unscrew the retaining ring (red arrow),

yes there is a spacier ring that permits a perfect adaptation of optics to helicoid , please see the attached picture

I hope this can help you. I have also disassembled the helicoid to relubricating it and thus reassembled it perfectly, so let me know how I can help you more with your problem. It may be useful to post some photos using the single photo upload button above when editing the post.
BR

Giorgio