Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcor RE Auto 87-205/4.7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Topcor RE Auto 87-205/4.7 Reply with quote

Don't hear much about this lens. Maybe there's a reason for it. We know it's a do-over of the Sun 85-210/4.5. I really like Topcor products and had high hopes for it. While it can perform well if you work with it, I had generally spotty results. It seems that if the light is coming too much directly back into the lens the image looks a little washed out (shed photo). Light from an angle or in studio configuration and it does much better. Ergonomics strikes me as clumsy: Focus, zoom and aperature rings are far apart and not equi-distant so you feel like you're playing the trombone as you move your hand up and down setting up your shot. Not a loser of a lens, just. . . just. . . je ne c'est quoi.

#1 f/5.6 205mm

#2 f/8 205mm

#3 f/5.6 205mm

#4 f/8 180mm

#5 f/4.7 87mm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Topcor RE Auto 87-205/4.7 Reply with quote

[quote="frenched"]. Ergonomics strikes me as clumsy: Focus, zoom and aperature rings are far apart and not equi-distant so you feel like you're playing the trombone as you move your hand up and down setting up your shot. Not a loser of a lens, just. . . just. . . je ne c'est quoi.

I know what you mean , I've got the 38-90mm 3.8 Sun in Nikon mount and it is a top quality made , smooth focus, no wobbling etc. but I find it weird to use and it's strength it's not 3.5 definitely Sad
I wonder how the macro MD 35-70 would do at 3.5 comparing to Sun, this last one it weights a lot also (comparing to others lenses same FL, maybe that's because the macro option, don't know, but the 62mm filter doesn't help).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to compare a Navy version to this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TOPCON-N-TOPCOR-ORIGINAL-US-NAVY-RE-ZOOM-AUTO-87-205MM-4-7-F-4-7/292544863166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were these made by Topcon? I read somewhere they were manufactured for them by a 3rd party. I can't find the reference now. I was curious because I see some 3rd party lenses with VERY similar livery. EG Berolina :

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Were these made by Topcon?

There is some contradictionary information around. Most probably the zoom was licenced from Sun and made by Topcon. At least the Topcon club Japan states it like that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not Topcon made.
AFAIK, the zooms were Sun, and the last RE's(RE Topcor) were from Cimko.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Nope, not Topcon made.
AFAIK, the zooms were Sun,

Source? Not even the Japanese Topcon Club is sure about. At least they state that the lenses/glass have been made by Topcon and that a similar zoom was marketed by Sun and Petri.
However, the Google translation of the Japanese page is somehow strange and delivers deviating information if translated to English or German.
I think nobody knows for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
It would be interesting to compare a Navy version to this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-TOPCON-N-TOPCOR-ORIGINAL-US-NAVY-RE-ZOOM-AUTO-87-205MM-4-7-F-4-7/292544863166

Agreed. Go ahead and buy it and we’ll compare notes. 😊

Actually I’ve never run across technical comparisons. To me, seems the only difference is a black body and maybe infinity lock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Most probably the zoom was licenced from Sun and made by Topcon.

Makes no business sense to me. Why re-tool your factory when you can just pay OEM for license, tweak the specs if desired and stick your brand on it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun 85-210 F/4.8

Topcor 87-205 F/4.7

Agreed. The Sun and Topcor versions are cosmetically very very similar. There are differences, the aperture rings are in different locations. The Topcor has a traditional name ring at the front, the Sun has it on the hood. The fonts are slightly different. The similarities seem to outweigh the differences though. This lens from Sun came in a vast array of versions for a period of around 15 years (possibly longer) from around 1965, almost every two bit rebadger sold it at one point. I have it as a Sun Hi-Tele F/4.8 version, as well as a Petri badged version that is almost identical. For 1965, and for a zoom, I was very happy with the performance from a lens that can be had for around $10.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only differences on the N for Navy lenses are the infinity lock, and possibly a peg sticking out of the focusing ring. They were used on US Navy "Orion" sub-hunter planes. The infinity lock is because the planes flew adequately high that fixed infinity focus was fine.

The cameras took a beating, being dropped on the floor of the cockpit.

I've seen some N lenses for sale on eBay crudely engraved (scratched) with particular Orion unit numbers, like VP-10.