Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

disassembled 55/1,4 mamiya M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: disassembled 55/1,4 mamiya M42 Reply with quote

How can I take off the first front element in the mamiya 55 mm F/1,4 M42 lens?

I can't do it and don't want to damage the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your lens is built the same way as mine, and if you have the right tools, it shouldn't be difficult, papasito.

To get the name / trim ring off, I first heated my lens to help loosen the ring. Then I used the mouth of a pill bottle - along with a scrap of rubber glove for friction - to twist off the ring.

With the name ring off, I then used a lens spanner tool to unscrew the retaining ring above the first element.
Actually, on my first attempt, the whole front group cluster came out. I had to use a couple drops of solvent on the threads of the retaining ring to help loosen it.
And when the retaining ring is off, the front element should fall out easily.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
If your lens is built the same way as mine, and if you have the right tools, it shouldn't be difficult, papasito.
To get the name / trim ring off, I first heated my lens to help loosen the ring. Then I used the mouth of a pill bottle - along with a scrap of rubber glove for friction - to twist off the ring.

how do you go about heating it? hair dryer?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:

With the name ring off, I then used a lens spanner tool to unscrew the retaining ring above the first element.
Actually, on my first attempt, the whole front group cluster came out. I had to use a couple drops of solvent on the threads of the retaining ring to help loosen it.
And when the retaining ring is off, the front element should fall out easily.

Tim

Thank you, very much.

Excellent. Very easy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

Thank you, very much.

Excellent. Very easy.

You're welcome.

benadamx wrote:

how do you go about heating it? hair dryer?

Sure, a hair dryer would probably work. I don't have one so I use a small, space heater.
Along with the proper size friction tool, a couple minutes sitting in front of the heater is usually enough for me to get name rings loose. Heat also helps with stubborn screws and retaining rings - unless they've been glued in place. In that case, a solvent usually helps. I use M.E.K., but acetone will also work.

However, be aware that too much heat could cause grease inside the lens to melt and migrate to places where you wouldn't want it.
I don't know what temperature is safe, yet still effective. On another photo forum, one member told me if a lens is too hot to hold with bare hands, that's too much heat.
As I said, I just let my lenses warm for a few minutes. And so far, I've had no trouble with melted grease or vapor condensation.

There are friction tools made specifically for lenses, but I've never used them. Here's an example:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After have seeing the way to remover the first front element, I think about if the lens is a tomioka, or cosinon one or a self made by Mamiya.

IT should be the lost opcion, isn't IT?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
After have seeing the way to remover the first front element, I think about if the lens is a tomioka, or cosinon one or a self made by Mamiya.

IT should be the lost opcion, isn't IT?

The ones usually attributed to Tomioka, or attribute the optical design to Tomioka, don't tend to look like yours papasito. Check out the auto revuenon, auto chinon, auto rikkenon, super reflecta, Cosina (the actual producer? - who knows), it goes on and on. See what you think.

And I'm more than happy to be corrected. There are many on here with much, much more knowledge on them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:

There are friction tools made specifically for lenses, but I've never used them. Here's an example:

i got a set of those to work on this lens, but the ring is either stuck enough that it doesn't work (mine don't make that much friction), or i'm doing it wrong and need to get a screw out first somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try BluTak between the lens remover rubber and the lens ring. Just a really thin gasket of it. I find it really useful for working with old lenses. It sticks pretty well and won't scratch and comes clean with just a little buffing.