Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Miranda lenses don't get much milage because I think that they are under-rated generally and difficult to adapt to digital.
I was gifted this lens on a Miranda Sensorex, so decided to see what it could do.
I am very pleasantly surprised.
All of these images are shot at full aperture.
PP in LR and mono in NIK.
No sharpening has been applied.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some beautiful images, Oldhand.

I seem to recall that in its heyday, some photographers referred to the well made and feature laden Miranda G as the "poor man's Nikon".

Also here is some general info from Craig Holmes Miranda Historical Site -

How do the optics compare with contemporary camera brands? (Nothing super detailed, here - I don't mean to start a lens sharpness war!)

Miranda lenses were highly regarded in their day, and test reports from the times emphasized the consistency found over successive models, and the uniformly high performance of the standard lens in particular over a good range of apertures and at centre and edges. Some lenses were regarded as excellent performers, such as the 55mm f3.5 macros and particularly the 135mm f3.5 Soligor Miranda Short Barrel lens. Generally Miranda lenses were regarded as highly comparable with other quality brands during the time of manufacture.

What was the relationship with Soligor? Did they make all the optics? Are "Zunow" and "Ofunar" lenses made by Soligor?

At the beginning, Miranda Camera Co. made the bodies and put out contracts for lenses to Zunow, Ofunar, Arco, and Soligor. Later suppliers included Tamron, and Kowa. After merging with Soligor via AIC, I believe all lenses for Mirandas came from Soligor. The early "Zunow" is hard to find, and the "Ofunar" more so as it appears (from a sample I have seen) to be a "Zunow" lens with only a different front plate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that input - and yes, the relationship with Soligor is certainly a part of the history of Miranda.
It seems that there were some lenses provided by others before Soligor came along.
After the investment by Soligor in the company, it makes sense that Soligor sourced the lenses for Miranda.
Of course these lenses came from all over the place as the Soligor threads have indicated.

I might be wrong but the Soligor Mirandas seem to be labelled "Soligor Miranda"
This Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 could be from one of the previous suppliers maybe.
In any case it is a good lens and is often found very cheaply.
Here are some more images with it
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
Some beautiful images, Oldhand.

What was the relationship with Soligor? Did they make all the optics? Are "Zunow" and "Ofunar" lenses made by Soligor?

At the beginning, Miranda Camera Co. made the bodies and put out contracts for lenses to Zunow, Ofunar, Arco, and Soligor. Later suppliers included Tamron, and Kowa. After merging with Soligor via AIC, I believe all lenses for Mirandas came from Soligor. The early "Zunow" is hard to find, and the "Ofunar" more so as it appears (from a sample I have seen) to be a "Zunow" lens with only a different front plate.

Not quite correct, and misleading.
Where he says the later suppliers were Tamron and Kowa is correct, but they were the lenses supplied by Soligor.
They were marked Miranda Soligor and coded with either the Tamron code or Kowa code.

Then their were the Auto Miranda and Auto E lenses that were most likely made by Tokina..

The final Auto EC lenses were made by Sun Optics. Tho I'm not sure who made the Macron lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]Miranda lenses don't get much milage because I think that they are under-rated generally and difficult to adapt to digital.
I was gifted this lens on a Miranda Sensorex, so decided to see what it could do.
Tom

Tom, when I started collecting Miranda lenses there wasn't any adapters made. I bought an adapter from ramir73 as soon as they came out for M4/3. Later he made them for E mount.

Fotodiox also makes adapters but the E mount adapter hasn't been available for awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

[quote="walter g"]
Oldhand wrote:
Miranda lenses don't get much milage because I think that they are under-rated generally and difficult to adapt to digital.
Tom

Tom, when I started collecting Miranda lenses there wasn't any adapters made. I bought an adapter from ramir73 as soon as they came out for M4/3. Later he made them for E mount.

Fotodiox also makes adapters but the E mount adapter hasn't been available for awhile.

Thanks for that information Walter.
I made my own adapter for Fuji, and while it isn't pretty, it works. Smile
Can you make a comment on the better performers in the Miranda label?
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
… PP in LR and mono in NIK. ...

Tom

It reminds me a bit of tri-x.

Thanks for sharing the portrait Tom. They are always a delight.

Coming from the tail-end of the babyboomer generation, Miranda for me was another one of those cheap brands, and like many of those brands, there was little conception that they had in fact produced quality products in previous times. Perhaps that's why they are overlooked. I'm just idly surmising.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice BW portrait. You found Henry Fonda there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
… . You found Henry Fonda there.

Hah Laughing. Spot on Like 1 small .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Beautiful B&W pictures

Oldhand wrote:
Tom

Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]
walter g wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Tom

Thanks for that information Walter.
I made my own adapter for Fuji, and while it isn't pretty, it works. Smile
Can you make a comment on the better performers in the Miranda label?
Cheers
Tom

Tom I haven't fully tested all my Miranda lenses yet. Hopefully soon. One of the must have lenses is the 8 element Auto Miranda 50mm f1.4.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8 Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

[quote="walter g"][quote="Oldhand"][quote="walter g"]
Oldhand wrote:

Tom I haven't fully tested all my Miranda lenses yet. Hopefully soon. One of the must have lenses is the 8 element Auto Miranda 50mm f1.4.

Thank you Walter for the suggestion.
How can one positively identify the eight element Auto Miranda 50mm f1.4?
Is it the one without the E or the EC or is there some other way?
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom , the Auto and Auto E are the 8 element lenses.
The EC is the 7 element version.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty.
Thanks Walter, I'll look out for them.
Tom

PS:

Here is a very tight crop from the portrait above.
I am pleased and delighted with the quality of the image - remember this was shot at widest aperture f1.8.
T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
I am pleased and delighted with the quality of the image - remember this was shot at widest aperture f1.8.
T

Jeez! There's nothing wrong with your focusing eye is there mate Like 1 .

And how do you know Henry Fonda? Come on Tom. Spill the beans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
T

Jeez! There's nothing wrong with your focusing eye is there mate Like 1 .

And how do you know Henry Fonda? Come on Tom. Spill the beans.

Hahaha - thank you.
Henry - I mean Don - and I go way back Smile to when we both dated Lucille Ball Smile
I hadn't noticed it before, but there is a resemblance isn't there.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots from today.
This lens does well in colour of course, but I was shooting B&W film today so stuck with monochrome for digital as well.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Good choice with BW.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Good choice with BW.

Thank you - yes it does very well in mono.
I am so impressed with this lens.
I can't understand why it isn't being pursued more relentlessly by photographers who value excellence in their images.
The lens is being sold at give-away prices and yet it performs like a high end optic.
Here is a shot taken today, along with a close crop, to show just how good its resolving power is (just look at the definition on the Sigma lens)
This was taken at f2.8
It draws so beautifully.
Tom

Another crop from the same image:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Very good indeed!
(And funny use pictured of the Sigma lenshood)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Very good indeed!
(And funny use pictured of the Sigma lenshood)

Haha - yes, she reversed it because she wanted to get closer to the reflections in the steel rail.
Thank you for the kind words about the images.
I am totally impressed by this lens and have ordered a second one while they are still cheap.
Tom

Here is a colour image from this lens shot at f2.8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
… I can't understand why it isn't being pursued more relentlessly by photographers who value excellence in their images.
The lens is being sold at give-away prices and yet it performs like a high end optic.

I think they may have clocked it's abilities in the UK. A quick look on fleabay seems to have them priced around Pentax.

If you're buying another one Tom, you'll be able to see if you've got a freak or not. But lets be honest, it's a planar (actually the render reminds me so much of my 58/2 biotar), and you seem to be playing it like Stradivarius.

Something that is in the back of my mind, is that whenever I see 'auto' on a '60s lens, I immediately wonder if it's Tomioka design. I hope that's not a red herring, but it might be worth tracking down who Soligor were sourcing at the time. There was a period obviously when Tomioka were bashing them out for Carl Zeiss I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a second copy of this lens.
As good as the first I would say.
The lens and the subjects - works of art
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quick three shot sequence taken today on this lens.
Guessed the focus and got lucky as the pelican was gone so quickly.
T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom.

Which version are yours Miranda 50 mm lenses?

Can you send pics of them?

Thanks