Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble with a 1930's 'VOIGTAR' on BESSA 66
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Trouble with a 1930's 'VOIGTAR' on BESSA 66 Reply with quote

Given a Voigtlander BESSA 66 from 1930 it has an un-coated 'Voigtar lens. I cleaned as much as I could but could not get into lens elements for a Deep Clean as I could not get the rear lens retaining ring to move ( I have NO proper 'Spanner Wrench' )
I loaded an 09/2002 dated Fuji NPH left over bought years ago for local Press Work and rated it at 200 ASA. It was 'Sunny' -- I used the 1/300th for most but metered as if it was 1/200th. I got 'FLARE' spots even with a Lens Hood i fitted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt look like flare really. More likely light leaks than flare.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Doesnt look like flare really. More likely light leaks than flare.

Yep, I think so. Is the bellows 100%? Check also the light sealing of the camera (back door).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today went out again, this time with Kodak VPS 160 left over from when I did 'Weddings' so it is really OLD! I rated it at 40 ASA and tried wider apertures -- on all of 12 frames there was NO LIGHT LEAK effects this time ! Maybe it was because this time i made sure to close the 'Red Window after setting Number 1 for the automatic frame counter. I used Lens Hood for some and some with NO hood but I turned camera so base-board was at top acting like a Hood.
Distant focus at f4 was poor definition. Closer at f8 was good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots. They have that vintage feel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how well that ancient film does.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- 'ancient but usable' still with a bit of 'Colour Correction' in FastStone Image Viewer as I would in darkroom Colour Printing. It WAS FRESH when I bought it !