Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble with a 1930's 'VOIGTAR' on BESSA 66
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Trouble with a 1930's 'VOIGTAR' on BESSA 66 Reply with quote

Given a Voigtlander BESSA 66 from 1930 it has an un-coated 'Voigtar lens. I cleaned as much as I could but could not get into lens elements for a Deep Clean as I could not get the rear lens retaining ring to move ( I have NO proper 'Spanner Wrench' )
I loaded an 09/2002 dated Fuji NPH left over bought years ago for local Press Work and rated it at 200 ASA. It was 'Sunny' -- I used the 1/300th for most but metered as if it was 1/200th. I got 'FLARE' spots even with a Lens Hood i fitted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt look like flare really. More likely light leaks than flare.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Doesnt look like flare really. More likely light leaks than flare.

Yep, I think so. Is the bellows 100%? Check also the light sealing of the camera (back door).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today went out again, this time with Kodak VPS 160 left over from when I did 'Weddings' so it is really OLD! I rated it at 40 ASA and tried wider apertures -- on all of 12 frames there was NO LIGHT LEAK effects this time ! Maybe it was because this time i made sure to close the 'Red Window after setting Number 1 for the automatic frame counter. I used Lens Hood for some and some with NO hood but I turned camera so base-board was at top acting like a Hood.
Distant focus at f4 was poor definition. Closer at f8 was good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots. They have that vintage feel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how well that ancient film does.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes -- 'ancient but usable' still with a bit of 'Colour Correction' in FastStone Image Viewer as I would in darkroom Colour Printing. It WAS FRESH when I bought it !