Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Aetna Rokunar (Sun Optics) 70-210/4 Auto Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Aetna Rokunar (Sun Optics) 70-210/4 Auto Zoom Reply with quote

I've had this thing for quite a long time. It was purchased very cheaply with my Nikon FM. "Aetna" and "Rokunar" were trade names for a marketing company that sold the products of many makers, but the maker was Sun Optics, a very old Japanese optics firm, one of the first Japanese firms in the third-party lens business, and one of those that sold a great deal of product under its own name, instead of maintaining anonymity like Tokina, Komine, Kiron, Tomioka, Fujita, etc.

I wasn't going to document this here for a while longer, waiting to pick up its big brother the massive Sun Optics 80-240/4, but member badgerhill did a great job with it -

http://forum.mflenses.com/rokunar-70-210mm-f4-zoom-and-rokunar-200mm-f3-9-tele-t7867.html

- so I though I might as well give it a workout.

This is a rather interesting modernist ("space age") design of a "two touch" constant-aperture zoom, which was quite a technological achievement in 1969, along with its new automatic YS-universal mount - in my case, it was a Nikon mount. Unfortunately, this one does not maintain focus while zooming. Like many (but not all) YS lenses, this one is fully usable with manual aperture on a T-mount, and it even has a manual-auto switch, which would soon become extinct.

Its not a bad lens, very decently sharp when stopped down a bit and it has good contrast under challenging lighting. There is little worry about flare, and the built-in hood is excellent and extremely solid ! This is a heavy lens.

There are serious problems wide-open though, plenty of color fringing if given half a chance.

All in all, out of my similar two-touch zoom lenses from this period (late 1960's-early 1970's), the Kiron 85-205/3.8(mine is a Vivitar), Tokina 90-230/4.5 (Sears), and this one, this is probably the worst performer, and the Kiron is the best.

The bird, f/4 - you can see the fringing even uncropped -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb results Luis!

p.s: you must have a big house to keep all those doorstop Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This IS a pretty good doorstop !

It could probably survive that duty, and still work if someone wanted to take pictures with it.

Why do I keep all this stuff around ? Because I am a collector, which is a little like being an alcoholic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis wrote:
Because I am a collector

I know & I was just joking
You make a great job documenting all those marvel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really curious what you can do with a good lens, because you make all lens to looking excellent! Congrats mate! You are a good ambassador of not respected lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the lightpost and the car (like that it is mostly hidden in shadow).

Did you use noise reduction on the bird?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't do anything with any of these (or any, period) save adjust the lighting/contrast (as I tend to underexpose) and get rid of dust spots sometimes. I don't trust those sharpening/de-noise things. I am a total dunce with post-processing.

Hi Attila, every lens is a good lens !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Attila, every lens is a good lens !

In your hands surely. I am glad you are here , I hope many lenses will rescued based on your pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing in the back of the lens, does it come off? I have a Tokina lens that have an "adapter" like that.