Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's The Latest Lens Accessory Added To Your Collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: What's The Latest Lens Accessory Added To Your Collection? Reply with quote

Adapters, Lens Caps, Hoods, filters. Any Accessory, is welcome.
It will get more views in this forum, so that's
why I put it here.

Over the years I've slowly built up a nice
Minolta collection, but not many hoods.
Also missing alot of lens caps.

Over the last couple months I've added:
Minolta MDiii 49mm clip-on hood for
50mm f1.4,1.7,f2.

Minolta MD 55mm hood for
50mm f1.4,1.7,f2. With original box and case.

Minolta MDiii 49mm hood for
24mm f2.8. I don't have this lens yet
But couldn't resist. I will be adding this
Lens in 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lens caps 5x 49mm 5x 52mm 5x 55mm 5x 58mm 2x 62mm should have ordered at least 10 more 52mm it seems. Also incoming 20 new m42 rear caps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be neighbours: I happily sell lenses with original caps and hoods if I have them.
The exceptions are Canon front caps and Minolta & Olympus rear ones.
I found modern Chinese caps to be better than most original ones. Hoods, I don't use them at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for:
20 E-mount rear caps
20 M42 rear caps

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please forgive the crap phone pictures ....

Recent purchases...

#1 Lens hood and case for Canon LTM

#2 Lens hood for Canon LTM

#3 Lens hoods for Zeiss QBM .... and another set coming in the mail .... they're getting scarce....

#4 Dedicated extension tubes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've mostly obtained mount adapters, front & rear caps,
and filters. Filters include only clear/UV, IR and CPL to date, but I've had
recent interest to try ND. I've tried IR to mixed results, which is why
I'm considering permanent IR conversion to my 50D.

Adapters include (to EOS): AD-2, Oly/OM, M42, T2 and TX/T4.
Front caps and filters of sizes from 49mm to 72mm.
Rear caps for EOS, M42, Oly/OM.
The adapters for AD-2 are very nice, a solid piece of black-anodized
aluminum with a secure fit.

I also fitted an inexpensive metal tripod-mount ring to my Tamron SP 60-300
with a bit of fudging about, with full use & travel of the mechanism as a result.
Result is here. You can thank Jieffe for that one. Wink

I grabbed something like 12, RC2 quick-release plates for my Manfrotto tripods
years ago from eBay on the cheap, but those have given over to equally-inexpensive
ARCA-Swiss-style plates when I upgraded to Siriu heads. They remain permanently
affixed to cameras and lenses where applicable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MCP image amplification system, allows (very!!) low light photography,
used with a relay lens in fron of my camera(s)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased the "close up lens" for the (mint) Minolta MD APO 100-500 mm f//8 I have acquired a few months ago. Its interest is that it is only a fraction of a dioptry which is plenty for 500 mm (min focus distance 1.6 meter)... and trial pictures done with a cheap 1 dioptry close up lens have been beautiful.

This lens is a beauty and is the first and only MD APO lens made by Minolta using their "new" AD (anomalous dispersion) glass (which replaced the Calcium Fluoride used for the 400 mm 5.6 and 600 mm 6.3 MC/MD lenses to reduce axial and lateral chromatic aberrations) which was further used for all their subsequent APO AF lenses. The reduction of CA compared to 200 mm and 300 mm MD lens CA (with or without 2*300) is really spectacular.

The speed (fCool of the zoom may seem slow but it is only 2/3 stop slower than the latest Sony E 200-600 mm f 5.6-6.3 and digital cameras with their ability to use very high ISO and their IBIS allowing to use slow speeds have made this former handicap almost irrelevant in most cases (if you add the already limited depth of field at 500 mm at f8 anyway...). Still heavy at 2 kg...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3D printed hood for the Minolta MD I 50mm 1.4 in the style I have used for other adapted/converted lenses:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59865532

Or actually today I glued a chip at the rear of that lens, 3D printed EF mount conversion but the chip had an issue on the MC-11 adapter but not on a Canon camera. Chip went in the bin. Position of the chip was not the problem, to get height and angle correct I made a tool:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, but hoods are high on the list. I might have to make some since supplies are short here out on the fringe of Europe.

A voltage controlling adapter to enable a substitute for a PX635 in a SL2 has been ordered from Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motor drive for Topcon Super D, with original box, styrofoam, and instructions. I had an old beat up one, but it wasn't working right. From eBay, under $100.

I think I finally have all the Canon rangefinder "front of lens" accessories I'm looking for: hoods, series adapter rings, series step-up rings, series retainer rings, series filters in stack case, cases, lens caps, reverse caps, etc. What a complicated system!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a very nice little Yashica Tele-Wide finder for use with my Pentax K-01. I like the finder very much.

However, as is too often the case with these things, the finder was accompanied by two large add-on lenses for which I have no application or use whatsoever. They take up space but are too nice to discard. More junk. Rolling Eyes

So it goes. In this world you take the good with the bad. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came in the mail ...
Does it count as an accessory ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it counts. Lens books, literature, etc. Anything lens related.

I just ordered a 3000 gram scale. Small easy to store, and use. Will be testing it and see how it works to weigh lenses.
Some lenses have no info online, and other lenses the specs are wrong.
So now when I get a lens it gets weighed and recorded

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually buy just lens accessories, with the possible exception of the occasional teleconverter or extension tube set. Probably my most recent bit of concentrated lens accessory purchases actually took place a few years ago, shortly after I bought my NEX 7 -- I bought six different adapters for it that covered most of the lenses I owned. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of those adapters. I think probably my most important next purchase will be a Lens Turbo II, a focal reducer. Probably for Canon FD to Sony NEX mount.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of future accesories, I intend to get a Nikon Z7 when they have become sufficiently beat up and old-fashioned so as to be cheaper and then to fit a contactless CE-mount adapter in order to use most any kind of optic. (contactless since no need for autofucus and Canons apertureless lenses).

p.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, I picked up a "NOS" lens hood case for my
1974 Minolta Rokkor-X 1.2/58 's dedicated hood, D55NC.

The case is from a later decade but is a snug fit and will protect
the rare hood nonetheless.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

... I think probably my most important next purchase will be a Lens Turbo II, a focal reducer. Probably for Canon FD to Sony NEX mount.

... why not a used A7 ...? ... You could sell the NEX-7 ... and you would not need the Lens Turbo II ... and you could use all your vintage MF lenses, not only the Canon FD stuff!

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I managed to get the Sony HVL-MT24AM macro twin flash set (relabelled Minolta T-2400) for a reasonable and affordable price. A very nice christmas present. Wink
The last recommended sales price was almost EUR 700.- for the one and only macro twin flash which is fully compatible with all TTL automatic modes for Sony digital cameras like my A7R II or my A850.
That was always a little bit too much for my taste but for EUR 200.- I couldn't resist.

It's looking like this:

A very nice addition to my existing ring flash set and my other flashes.
This definitely completes my collection of Minolta/Sony flashes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest accessory isn't too interesting a job lot of cokin P type filters (plain & graduated in a wide variety of colours as well as NDs) I plan on investigating them on my full spectrum bodies where old coloured filters can give interesting effects (practically all transmit NIR).

Somewhat older but probably of more interest to this community is a Handcross hood/filter system, which clamps onto a wide range of smaller lenses. Ideal for the antique lenses that use the smaller series type filters, as well as c-mount lenses etc that have unusual size filter threads.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came in the mail a
Minolta Panorama head II, https://pacificrimcamera.com/rl/01255/01255.pdf

To add to my Minolta
Compact Bellows;
Auto-Bellows III;
Slide Copier;
Focusing Rail;
Macro Stand;
Reversing Rings 55∅ and 49∅;
P, L and E adapter rings;
MD 2x Tele-Converter 300-S;
Extension Tubes;
Angle Viewfinder 2x;
and Polarizing Filter 55∅....

😜

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Finally I managed to get the Sony HVL-MT24AM macro twin flash set (relabelled Minolta T-2400) for a reasonable and affordable price. A very nice christmas present. Wink

Nice set indeed! While i was never really a "flash" type (preferring available light instead) i nevertheless bought a few HS-D5600's. Using them with the A900/HVL-F58 in wireless mode is pretty straightforward if the Master Flash (F58) is set to the proper Minolta protocol.

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
While i was never really a "flash" type (preferring available light instead) i nevertheless bought a few HS-D5600's. Using them with the A900/HVL-F58 in wireless mode is pretty straightforward if the Master Flash (F58) is set to the proper Minolta protocol.

That was indeed challenging to setup the A7R II and the F58 as the master with two F56 as the slaves to work as designed by Minolta. But once done that's really state of the art to use that setup and usable for macro shootings as well.
However, both the twin and the ring flashes are very nice for macro outdoor shootings where a multiple flash setup isn't really feasable.
Nothing like this is available from Sony nowadays. Sad story but obviously the consequence when a play station company runs the camera business. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

That was indeed challenging to setup the A7R II and the F58 as the master with two F56 as the slaves to work as designed by Minolta. But once done that's really state of the art to use that setup and usable for macro shootings as well.

Yeah ... I just had forgotten that the earlier (Minolta/Sony) digital flashes (such as the Minolta 5600 HS D [aka Sony HVL-F56] and the Minolta 3600 HS D [aka Sony HVL-F36) are using a different wireless protocol than the later Sony flashes (starting from the HVL-F58AM).

If you want to make the newer Sony flashes talking correctly to their elder Minolta/Sony cousins, you have to go into the "custom" menu of the 2nd generation Sony flash and change the control mode from "CTRL+" to "CTRL". To make matters worse, "CTRL+" (on the F58 LCD panel) is called "CTRL1" both in the user manual and in the custom menu of the F58, and "CTRL" is called "CTRL2" in the user manual / custom menu ...

tb_a wrote:

However, both the twin and the ring flashes are very nice for macro outdoor shootings where a multiple flash setup isn't really feasable.
Nothing like this is available from Sony nowadays. Sad story but obviously the consequence when a play station company runs the camera business. Wink

True ... but i'm very rarely using flashes for outside macro work. In fact i have still two jurassic AF 1200 ring flashes which i never tried on the DSLRs ... Did you use the ring flash on your controller as well, or only the twin flash setup?

S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
True ... but i'm very rarely using flashes for outside macro work. In fact i have still two jurassic AF 1200 ring flashes which i never tried on the DSLRs ... Did you use the ring flash on your controller as well, or only the twin flash setup?

Well, I have the Minolta R-1200 with the Minolta MFC-1000 already since several years and use them quite successfully for macro shootings on both A7R II and A850. That's very helpful to enable free hand shooting at very small apertures for max. DOF.
The "new" Sony twin flash kit (more or less a relabelled MFC-1000 / T-2400 combination) is on the way but the Sony HVL controller comes without the ring flash socket. Only the original Minolta controller provides both sockets for twin and ring flash.

Last edited by tb_a on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:22 pm; edited 1 time in total