Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rikenon XR 50mm f/2 comparison with other lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Rikenon XR 50mm f/2 comparison with other lenses Reply with quote

My Rikenon XR 50mm f/2 arrived. It's the steel (I guess that's the first) version. I guess similar performance can be expected from the later plastic versions.

Comparison is against:
- Auto Yashinon 5cm f/2
- Auto Mamiya/Sekor 50mm f/2
- Minolta MD 50mm f/2

First an infinity test @ f/2:
ComparisonF2 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Best center resolution from Rikenon and Mamiya. The Rikenon image is low contrast though and has a slight glow over it. Mamiya shows best center image.
Corners of 4 lenses are comparable. A bit glowy, with quite a bit of vigneting, but decent resolution actually.

Infinity test @ f/2.8:
ComparisonF28 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Most crisp center results from the Rikenon and Mamiya (check blinders on left window). Real high resolution. At his aperture, the far corners of the old Yashinon actually look the best to me.
Center image of the Minolta and Yashinon are comparable.

Infinity test @ f/4:
ComparisonF4 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Differences are small, but Rikonon en Mamiya still have the best center image IMO.
Corners are difficult to judge: it's a bit of a mixed bag of results. I think the Minolta MD is best here in terms of resolution and contrast. The Rikenon also good, but with slight glow. The Yashinon has lowest resolution, but stays most uniform into the far corner.

Infinity test @ f/5.6:
ComparisonF56 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Center performance of all 4 lenses is comparable. Best corners of Rikenon, no glow anymore, very good resolution. Minolta is very close.

Infinity test @ f/8:
ComparisonF8 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Best corners of Rikenon and Minolta. Hard to chose.

Infinity test @ f/11:
ComparisonF11 by devoscasper, on Flickr
Centers are comparable. The Rikenon and Minolta have comparable corners. The Yashinon is not far behind; the Mamiya is a bit less in the corners.

Bokeh test @ f/2:
BokehF2comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Draw your own conclusions.

Another one:
BokehComparisonf2f4 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Again, draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by caspert79 on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the L version is a bit softer and less contrasty wide open than the XR version without L. It is a cheaper plastic build. Probably the tolerances are somewhat compromised. But some people love it exactly for the character to do portraiture with it (especially on aps-c where the character is enhanced)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
In my experience the L version is a bit softer and less contrasty wide open than the XR version without L. It is a cheaper plastic build. Probably the tolerances are somewhat compromised. But some people love it exactly for the character to do portraiture with it (especially on aps-c where the character is enhanced)

Could be. Contrast is still pretty low wide open on mine I think. The characteristics of the Rikenon could be used in ones favour: soft wide open for portraits, very sharp in the center starting @ f/2.8 for bokeh shorts of objects and excellent as a landscape lens when stopped down to f/8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the glow when it is so sharp at the same time.

It's interesting to see those lenses compared. I was expecting more from the Minolta but it still does well.

I have now compared the Auto Rikenon and XR Rikenon. And surprisingly the Auto has slightly less glow wide open but a bit worse edge sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
I don't mind the glow when it is so sharp at the same time.

It's interesting to see those lenses compared. I was expecting more from the Minolta but it still does well.

I have now compared the Auto Rikenon and XR Rikenon. And surprisingly the Auto has slightly less glow wide open but a bit worse edge sharpness.

I think the Minolta does pretty well on a high res sensor. Plus it has additional qualities that I didn't really test here. Stopped down it is really excellent. Plus the other contenders are pretty strong performers; I hand picked them for that purpose Wink