Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kamero lens thread and serial number chart
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

This thread is for Kamero lenses, who made them,
Lens pics, samples, and lens id chart.

History. I can find very little info online
So if you have any info please link it or
Post it in this thread.

Kamero lenses were distributed by Woolworth,
And I know they were sold thru Woolco department
Stores.

Lens ID chart.
1st number ID's the maker

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = ?
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

This is a work in progress.
Not finalized codes.

? - I have not found any pics of Kamero
Lenses starting with 3 or 6, so that's
Why no maker is listed.
I'm not sure if their is an 8 or 9 code
Either.

Please post pics of any Kamero lens you have,
And sample pics.
Questions coments or critiques are also welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kamero 35mm f2.8. This is the 4 code Mitake version.
It has a deeply recessed front element.
Shot with Nex 6 hand held, no hood, at ISO 100 at 1/500, f8.
JPEG resized no pp.
I will edit in pics of the lens later.

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
. . .
Kamero lenses were distributed by Woolworth ...

Seeing the Woolworth name brings back memories.

walter g wrote:
Lens ID chart.

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = ?
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

Currently on ebay, there's a Kamero zoom which according to the listing "... is labeled Kamero Auto Zoom F/4.5 85-210mm 55 No. 301328".
Unfortunately, there's no picture of the front of the lens.
Click here to see on Ebay

I own Kamero 135mm f/2.8 #150358.

My lens doesn't get much use because of its long, 2.5m minimum focus distance. But when I've had it out, it seems to be reasonably sharp with minimal aberrations.
Here's a sample shot from my Canon 5D at f/4. I added some color, contrast and sharpness in post.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tim. That's exactly what I needed. I tracked down multiple copies of the 85-210 under different names that were the same.
Everyone serial number started with 3.

The major producer of these lenses were Sun Optical.

Updated chart.

Lens ID chart.

1 = Mitake
2 = Cimko
3 = Sun
4 = Mitake
5 = Tokina
6 = ?
7 = Makina

E = Sankor

This is a work in progress.
Not finalized codes.

? - I have not found any pics of Kamero
Lenses starting with 6, so that's
Why no maker is listed.
I'm not sure if their is an 8 or 9 code
Either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, the Mitake made Kamero 135mm f2.8 is the next lens on my list to buy. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

55 wrote:

Seeing the Woolworth name brings back memories

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Tim, the Mitake made Kamero 135mm f2.8 is the next lens on my list to buy. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure, Walter. Thanks for starting an interesting topic.

frenched wrote:

Like 1

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

Thank you Walter G for the time and effort you have put in to research this make of lens. I bought a Kamero 135mm f2.8 about two years ago in error as I did not read the listing on eBay carefully and the seller was economic with the truth in their description. I paid too much for it but when compared to what I would have to pay for a Minolta branded lens today it was cheap. As it turned out it is a well made lens, with a solid all metal construction and I would be keen to know if it is much different to the equivalent lens made by Minolta or whoever made it for them? The lens I bought was new although obviously very old stock as photo of the box shows. The serial number indicates that it was made by Mitake and it would be interesting to know how it compares in terms of quality with others?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Kamero lens thread and serial number chart Reply with quote

42degreesS wrote:
Thank you Walter G for the time and effort you have put in to research this make of lens. I bought a Kamero 135mm f2.8 about two years ago in error as I did not read the listing on eBay carefully and the seller was economic with the truth in their description. I paid too much for it but when compared to what I would have to pay for a Minolta branded lens today it was cheap. As it turned out it is a well made lens, with a solid all metal construction and I would be keen to know if it is much different to the equivalent lens made by Minolta or whoever made it for them? The lens I bought was new although obviously very old stock as photo of the box shows. The serial number indicates that it was made by Mitake and it would be interesting to know how it compares in terms of quality with others?

Hi, 42degreesS.

I've quoted your post so the pictures will now show. As an anti spam measure, photos aren't allowed in a member's first post.