Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 100mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Hi
I've just bought this lens but i couldn't find any details about it. Could someone help me a little bit? Any piece of info will be appreciated.

It's an f-mount but even the serial no is strange: 702285.
Please help

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of the side and mount ?

There are some Vivitars that were supplied by makers not included in the famous serial number series, even in 1970-1990.

It could also be an early Vivitar, pre-1970 lens which did not have a serial number system.

Vivitar probably sometimes sold a product just in certain markets and not in others, for instance just to the UK or Europe and not in the US. I know Soligor was like that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Could you post a picture of the side and mount ?
The lens I bought it from US. Here are the pics requested:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is the sort of thing I LIKE about the MF crew! Take a "chance" on a lens that is sort of "offbeat" and give it a try! Very Happy

It certainly has the nice design, this will be interesting. Surprised

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Laurence, if you ask me i'd say i got way too much free time Smile
I don't know about the internal lens design, bu the exterior looks very close to Vivitar 135mm f2.8 made by Komine.
The 100mm lens has a flow that i'm sure i will correct it in one way or another someday: either the aperture ring is too high or the "mount plate" is too sunken because i cannot mount the lens on my camera.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I can tell so far -

This probably came out as a Vivitar in 1971. The serial number is probably not in the famous Vivitar series because it is too short, the Vivitar serial number system needs 4-5 digits just for the coding. Maybe the serial number series was phased in slowly and was not completely in place when this was sold.

There was a similar lens sold as a Spiratone and as a Miida around that time. Spiratone was a distributor and I think so was Miida. Miida may have been associated with Hoya and possibly Sun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, and in case the name Miida ever comes up again -

Miida was just a trademark for Marubeni, which is an old Japanese trading company. So that gets us no closer to identifying this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an old Miida monopod from the early 70's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 2.8/135 Auto Telephoto No. 28529077 for comparison

I've got too much time on my hands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar 135mm 2.8 looks even more similar to 100mm. Look:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Vivitar 100mm F2.8's . Both were made by Tokina, one is in Nikon Pre-Ai mount & the other in Konica EE mount...Nice lenses they are...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The models I have are not quite as old as the one in the first photo of this thread & they are identifiable via the serial #'s which both start with 37...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any gallery pictures with this lens? Thx. Where can I find sample pics?

Can someone show me how this lens shoots? PM me if you are interested in this lens, as I cannot use it. I would love to see how it shoots.

Last edited by newton on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens! Looks like a pre-AI mount to me though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Does that mean that it will work on a Nikon? I have no idea. I think it is a Minolta mount. PM me if you are interested in this 100 mm f/2.8. I sadly cannot use it with any of my bodies. I know this is a great lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said Minolta mount. I'd be tempted to undo the whole mount and screw some other sort of adapter/body cap in its place Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, do you think it is worth it? I am guessing it is a great lens but can't find any sample pics with it here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this about a vivitar 2.8/100 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/anyone-heard-of-vivitar-100-f2-8-non-macro-m42-t35787,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B100+%2B2+%2B8.html

and could be the same as this one :
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

If it's like a pentor, look at spotmatic's results... Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
I found this about a vivitar 2.8/100 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/anyone-heard-of-vivitar-100-f2-8-non-macro-m42-t35787,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2B100+%2B2+%2B8.html

and could be the same as this one :
http://forum.mflenses.com/chinonflex-100mm-f-2-8-in-m42-mount-t18348.html

If it's like a pentor, look at spotmatic's results... Shocked

The first lens mentioned in this thread is indeed similar to the lenses mentioned in these 2 threads. But the second lens mentioned here is different. It is made by Tokina, all others are presumably made by Sun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lens with Minolta MC/MD bayonet certainly will not work on a Nikon body.
Different mount and register distance.

Pity that shipping is pricy to Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
A lens with Minolta MC/MD bayonet certainly will not work on a Nikon body.
Different mount and register distance.

Pity that shipping is pricy to Europe.

I just bought a lens from Japan. Now that was pricey. I think to Europe is cheap.

Spoke to a guy here who has been at it for 35 years. He dropped that he by chance has a Vivitar 100 mm f/2.8 that he is now selling. Said it was a very expensive lens back in the day almost $1000 and swears about it's quality.... That should be good news. Yeah, I was being facetious and wistful that the MC/MD would magically become a Nikon. Damn....reality.... Sad. Lol. I am getting more tempted to find a way to use this lens.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly anything works on a Nikon without corrected optics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am getting more tempted to find a way to use this lens.....

You can mount the lens (and lots of other ones) on Sony Nex or use the lens on film with a nice and cheap Minolta body.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this lens for a while and just popped onto my old Canon 5D...basically to get a few pics out of it before selling it...and I like it better than my Nikkor 105/2.5 Sonnar! Build quality is decent...and it really renders pretty! I only shoot pix of my kid nowadays it seems, but this just seems like a nice portrait lens...perhaps I sell the Nikkor...as it will bring somewhat more than this one...

It has an odd serial number: 40xxxxxx...which doesn't seem to match any of the Vivitar schemes out there. It does look like it's the exact same lens as the original poster in this thread.

Some shots of the lens, and by the lens wide open, below.

#8 - this shot is odd as it looks like there is massive dust on the sensor...but it's not there on subsequent shots...I wonder if the incoming light just highlighted some internal lens dust that was perfectly projected onto the sensor...?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing quality. I would not be selling a lens like that.