Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Wetzlar Photar 50mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Leitz Wetzlar Photar 50mm f2.8 Reply with quote

“Optimised for 2.5x ... 10x (x3-x8, optimum x2.9)”. (Source no recorded).

These are extreme close-ups of a harvestman from 2015

The crosseye stereo could be better but shows the isolation of the eye stalk.

Photar 50mm on extension to ca 270mm from the sensor, f11, 1/250 at ISO 640, hand-held. FOV 4mm wide. The lens is optimised for 2.5x ... 10x and here it was at nearly x5 at the sensor plane.

Olympus EM-1 (manual mode), 250mm extension, Leitz Wetzlar Photar 50mm f2.8*, twin TTL flash.

*(M40, attached via M42 adapter).

The lens in not currently in use but is in storage. I will try to photograph it in the near future to post an image here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised images of the lens. Here they are but I must apologise for the dust. I have not used the lens for several years, leaving it in an airtight box with my other very special macro lenses. The lack of dust on the glass suggests I may have received the lens much like this. Anyway, it requires more than a wipe so a proper cleanup must wait.

The lens weighs 101g (1g of dust? Embarassed). That is with the M40 to M42 adapter on. The aperture in the third and fourth image is f8.

A bonus from digging this out: I had forgotten that I had the 25mm Photar, which I would like to compare with my Laowa 25mm macro.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours looks different from mine.
I now see why, it has an adapter attached, I never even suspected that, the adapter is M39 and has z.Sp.Reflex printed on it.
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=52

I also have a Focotar 50/4.5
http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=148

The aperture ring on the Photar is silky smooth and has no detents, the Focotar has detents and the spring mechanism is quite loud and rings out a bit, I prefer the Photar by a mile, about equal with my Kominar-E 7.5cm/3.5.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The aperture ring on the Photar is silky smooth

Mine is smooth but extremely stiff, requiring a tight grip and a strong twist to move it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it needs a cleaning, it should be easy to turn.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Sounds like it needs a cleaning, it should be easy to turn.

Yes. I think the time has come to get it serviced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all Photars I have and had, it is the worst performing one...

Data is here: http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=52