Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Long Shot -- identify lenses on robot in Lost In Space
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:04 am    Post subject: Long Shot -- identify lenses on robot in Lost In Space Reply with quote

Kids were binge-watching Lost In Space TV shows. From Season 2, first color season, circa 1966 (season 1 is B&W). Can you identify the lenses? One looks like a mirror lens...

Screen grabs:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are eyes, not lenses. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not lenses. Grey-painted plastic/wooden/cardboard props with orange/red glass or plastic balls glued in the middle.

An acquaintance of mine used to design props like this for British film studios. You would be amazed at prop designers' ingenuity of choice of materials, it only needs to look a bit convincing, and generally needs to be very lightweight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not real lenses, though sometimes real equipment does get repurposed as props. I've seen medical equipment I used to work on appear in Red Dwarf.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Long Shot -- identify lenses on robot in Lost In Space Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Kids were binge-watching Lost In Space TV shows. From Season 2, first color season, circa 1966 (season 1 is B&W). Can you identify the lenses? One looks like a mirror lens...

You can admit to enjoy the show with them Smile. Me and my daughters watched first season during summer vacations and it was quite nice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Not lenses. Grey-painted plastic/wooden/cardboard props with orange/red glass or plastic balls glued in the middle.

An acquaintance of mine used to design props like this for British film studios. You would be amazed at prop designers' ingenuity of choice of materials, it only needs to look a bit convincing, and generally needs to be very lightweight.

Probably correct, however the robot's right "prop" does indeed look like a repurposed lens, with more detail than a fake prop would have.

Pancolart wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

You can admit to enjoy the show with them Smile. Me and my daughters watched first season during summer vacations and it was quite nice.

I admit it! Also to avidly watching the show as a kid!

The first season in b&w is quite different from the other seasons which became a bit too campy for me. Character behaviors became questionable for kids to see too, imho.