Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM Zuiko 80mm f4 macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM Zuiko 80mm f4 macro Reply with quote

It is a bellows lens but it has a focus ring so I thew some tubes into this battle as I hate bellows Wink

pictures at f4:

removed a 25mm tube for this one:

Crop:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results! A wonderful lens it is Karen, congrats! I would recommend to use either the original Olympus length adjustable extension tube, or cheaper helicoids, both very stable. Given you much more flexibility to set the magnification (as focusing is anyway done by moving the camera).

The lens is also on my site here: http://macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=41

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A helicoid would definitely be more practical. The extension tubes are limiting indeed.
I have read about that olympus variable extension tube. Interesting thing! Never knew it existed before I purchased this lens.
I bought the lens on an olympus bellows but it is so leaky. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
A helicoid would definitely be more practical. The extension tubes are limiting indeed.
I have read about that olympus variable extension tube. Interesting thing! Never knew it existed before I purchased this lens.
I bought the lens on an olympus bellows but it is so leaky. Sad

I'm not a friend of bellows either, no practical especially outside.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Great find, not an everyday item to come across!
It's an incredible piece, i sold my set a while ago, simply too much stuff around. But sometimes i regret it! I had the 135 macro and the f=17cm lenses as well.
See here: http://forum.mflenses.com/olympus-om-macro-set-for-sale-trade-sold-t72452,highlight,%2Bolympus.html

Samples: http://forum.mflenses.com/olympus-macro-80mm-f-4-on-65-116-tube-and-f17cm-lens-t71511,highlight,%2Bolympus.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos!
When I get some money I would like to get a macro lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic lens, I use this one and the 135mm one with the Olympus telescoping tube.
Very sharp up to f8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

It's a great little lens. I was very surprised by it's performance wide open. The way it captures details is amazing. Too bad it's a bit of a hassle to use 'in the field'. Would be great for studio macro though.
This lens came in a set with another 'normal' macro lens. The 50mm f3,5. I will be testing that one shortly. I hope it's a good one as well Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my copy of this lens out as my "windowsill orchid" came into bloom. It is a stunningly sharp lens with great colors. I was using it with the 65-115 variable extension tube. These are straight from the a7rii resized with the auto 190000 pixel widget.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples
Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
"windowsill orchid"

A Pleione.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. pleione formosana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:

Anyone serious about macro and the OM range-specific macro lenses needs the Telescoping Extension Tube! Amazing bit of craftsmanship!

I can "twist, slide, twist" and get the shot, while my buddies are still going "twist, twist, twist, TWIST…" on their long helicoids.

But careful… this is a slippery slope… once you have the TET, you'll lust after the other range-specifics. The 135/4.5, in particular, will go from half-life-size to infinity on the TET!