Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contarex 35mm f2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Contarex 35mm f2 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have seen some sample pictures taken with this lens and they are really beautiful.
Do you think it is worth the current price of about $1300?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Unless you are collecting lenses.
For this price there are better modern lenses designed for the usage on digital sensors, offering AF as well.
It's a 1960's design for film. IMHO it would only make sense if the price is far below the better modern option.
At least I would never spend that much for an collector's item, I buy lenses to use them. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Contarex 55/1.4, with some imperfection on the internal element, for $499 some years ago. I think it is worth every penny.

A set of 50/2.0, 35/4.0 and 135/4.0 will be nice if anyone want to collect them without breaking the bank.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I bought my Contarex 55/1.4, with some imperfection on the internal element, for $499 some years ago. I think it is worth every penny.

Mamiya built the same lens for the Rolleiflex (Rolleinar 55/1.4), after the copyright expired. It's available for a fraction of the cost. I know, it's not likewise interesting for collectors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Mamiya built the same lens for the Rolleiflex (Rolleinar 55/1.4), after the copyright expired. It's available for a fraction of the cost. I know, it's not likewise interesting for collectors.

Even the design is the same, the value/build quality and performance(colour) is not the same. My friend owns a Germany made Rolleinar 55/1.4. I may compare them later if anyone is interested.